Awaiting Diagnosis

• 7 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi, I’m new here, honestly never thought I would be looking for support within cancer groups if I’m honest not something I have ever really thought about. 

A few weeks ago I went to the doctors with a bit of tummy pain and was treat for a UTI. The antibiotics didn’t have any effect and so I did another course and was sent for a ultrasound to check for possible kidney stones. 

Fast forward to being sat down and told a mass has been found. 

‘Arising from right adnexa, extending into the upper abdominal region, is a large 24 x 21 x 10 (cm) complex loculated mass. Thin and thick septations are demonstrated with the presence of solid components, largest solid component measuring 4 x 3 x 3 (cm) Most locules are simple in appearance, however a single large locule can be seen containing low level ground glass echoes within. Some internal vasularity noted. Right ovary not visualised. 

Shock in that moment may be an understatement, I just don’t understand know I never really noticed much. I had been getting a lot of bloating which honestly I just brushed off to time of the month or eating rubbish food. I’ve had no changes in my cycles or periods. 

I have also had my bloods taken for CA125 levels, these are slightly elevated at 42. 

I just don’t know what to think, I’m young and a solo mother of one, my daughter had her own disabilities and additional needs too as well as to now deal with this and still be a parent and cater for her. 

I have my first consultation with the gynaecologist on 2nd Jan. 

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) but I am pleased to see that you have already found and put up a post in our dedicated Ovarian cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• How old are you? I am in a similar boat

• Sorry to hear this i just had a transvaginal and stomach ultrasound yesterday and im convinced I have this also, now I dont know how long I have to wait to find out.  I hope you are getting some help from family or friends to get you through it .

• Sorry to hear you are going through this, I am waiting on diagnosis for very severe high grade dsykaryosis CIN 3.  With CA125 levels  of 184. 
    My thoughts are with you. 

• Hi, I am 30 a lot has happened since this original post, I had further bloods and scans and I am now under gynaecology oncology due to concerns for OC. 

Suspected early stages no current evidence of spread. I have frozen section, radical hysterectomy  & staging surgery on the 26th Feb. 

• Thank you, I do have lots of support around me thankfully. Good luck with results of ultrasound, if you do have a cyst or anything try not to worry to much as majority of ovarian masses and cysts etc are completely benign. 

Unfortunately for mine, after further tests and scan there is a high concern for OC and I am going in for surgery on the 26th Feb, I’ll be having a full hysterectomy along with tubes, ovaries and cervix, they’ll be doing frozen section biopsy and staging as/if required too. I’m keeping positive though they believe early stages and no evidence of spread from scans. 

• Thank you, hope everything goes okay and you are treated quickly Fingers crossed