NEWBIE - How I am feeling one year post treatment for vaginal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I have a history of cancer (hysterectomy plus tubes and ovaries removed in 2011), had VAIN cells removed regularly in the following years and was then diagnosed with vaginal cancer in August 2022. I had the tumour removed and commenced radiotherapy and chemotherapy in early November, completing on 23 December 2022. Due to pain and discomfort I was unable to use the vaginal dilators, my oncologist confirmed excessive scar tissue build up over the years was the cause. She confirmed I did not need to continue with this, she would examine me via scans for future check ups. I now find myself one year post treatment, having had the all clear via scan for the third time. I’ll be getting checked 3/4 monthly for a few years.

My problem is three fold. My treatment has also affected my bowels (scar tissue at rectum) so I am in a permanent state of ibs. I feel tired and lethargic all the time. I have also gained nearly 2 stone in a year and suffer from continual bloating and gas.  Oncologist is not concerned by any of this, advising me to change my diet and exercise more.  I have no energy to exercise and changing my diet has not helped.

I am depressed, not because of the cancer, but because of the side effects. I feel fat, old (62), frumpy, sorry for myself, tired and frightened to eat out of the house in case of accidents.

Thanks for listening. I really just needed to rant ……..

• Hi  

I'm really sorry to read how you're feeling right now.

I can see that you've previously posted in the vaginal cancer forum and wondered if that was where you meant to post this. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You could then start a new post and copy and paste this into it to save you typing it all out again.

Wishing you all the best

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"