New here , diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer and starting treatment on 28th Dec

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi folks , I’m male 52 yrs old with a beautiful family , my wife and two kids 19 & 16 ( m&f )

it’s all happened so quick , I have a large tumour in my mid oesophageal tract (6 cms long) and the PET scan revealed that it has metastasised to lymph modes on my LHS up to my neck.

this means no surgery yet. Also no radiotherapy yet.

chemo starts next week

all a bit crazy but I’m feeling like I can make it 

just reaching out to see if there’s anyone else here might have experienced similar problems 

blessings to all

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms).

But I can see that you have already joined and posted in our dedicated Gullet (oesophagus) cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike that’s great , have a great Xmas .

• Hi.  My husband has recently been diagnosed with osophagial cancer., renal cancer and brain tumor are it is very aggressive that they cannot treat him, we are devisated, he is in hospital at the moment and we are waiting for marie curie palliative care to be put in place.  I hope you can receive treatment and make a full recovery. 

• Hi   and a warm welcome to you and so sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.

This is such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' support challenges can help a lot.

As you see the New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support and the Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and when it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband you may benefit from joining and posting in our Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

Do get back to me if you need further help ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge