BCC on nose

• 1 reply
  • 38 subscribers

Good evening all

New to the community.

I saw my GP a little over a month ago for them to examine what I had initially dismissed as a blackhead on the ala of the left side of my nose, but which had then grown and caused me concern. They reassured me it was probably nothing to worry about, but took some pictures and sent it onto Dermatology and said they would be in touch if they felt it needed further investigation. Fast forward five weeks and I just sat down with the dermatologist yesterday who took one look and told me within seconds it was a BCC - the first time I had ever heard the phrase. They were very matter of fact, didn’t really give me any information other than a procedure would be booked for it to be removed. They checked some moles whilst I was there and commented that it was ‘unusual’ for someone my age to have this (I am 34). I was shellshocked so didn’t really ask any questions. I wasn’t given any information to take away or anything so have just been researching here and elsewhere. 

I read a lot which is reassuring - that they are very common, highly treatable, unlikely to spread and with excellent mortality rates. But I feel like my world has just been turned upside down. I am concerned due to the position of the BCC it will be difficult to operate on. I’m also concerned about how long I have left it unchecked thinking it was a blackhead or something, how deep it may have grown, its proximity to my nasolabial lymph node… 101 scenarios playing out in my head. Paranoia I’m sure but going through a huge range of emotions and finding the experience a lot more stressful than I first thought now that it has had time to sink in. The dermatologist being matter or fact to the point of being blasé may have been reassuring in the moment but has left me with so many unanswered questions. 

I am fortunate enough to have access to Vitality healthcare through my work, I spent an hour on the phone today just to determine that I needed to complete a form to prove this is not a pre-existing condition. I broke down at that point as I just want to access treatment as soon as possible to get this sorted and try and restore some normality. I don’t want to wait for the NHS wait list (which in my area looks to be about 17 weeks) if I am lucky enough to not have to, but the stress of additional paperwork at this point especially given the proximity to Christmas and how things will inevitably slow down across that period just feels overwhelming. 

I understand it’s a low risk cancer, it isn’t a top priority from the NHS’ perspective, nor should it be when I know others on this very forum have much worse situations. It’s just I’ve always had my health and this has given me a massive wobble. I’m feeling very scared and uncertain about the path ahead. Any reassurance people can give would be hugely appreciated. I’m talking with my partner who is being brilliant about it but equally I don’t fully feel like they understand how this is impacting me. I’m not even sure I understand that at this point. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll both find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with a BCC and it's natural to be feeling as you do. When I was diagnosed with a BCC, I was given a leaflet similar to this one with information about what causes them, how they're treated and what you should do in the future to protect your skin.

The online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join us over in the skin cancer group where you can ask questions, share experiences and get support.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you have any problems negotiating the community just reply to me and I'll be pleased to help if I can.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"