Mum with terminal bowel cancer not eating

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

My mum is in the end stages of terminal bowel cancer and has little to no appetite.  She has fortsip drinks 3 times a day but can anyone recommend anything i could try with her?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll both find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum has terminal bowel cancer and is struggling to eat. It sounds like a very difficult time for you both.

The online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the bowel cancer forum and also the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum. In both forums you'll connect with others who may have the same eating problems as your mum.

To join these forums, just click on the links I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you have any problems negotiating the community just reply to me and I'll be pleased to help if I can.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I would try very sweet things, like custard, full fat yogurts, she may be too tired to chew certain things. Fizzy drinks may help aswell to keep fluids up, u could also try and get advice from a dietician, I work in a nursing home and also my mum has cancer so I'm trying to keep her hydrated. Hope that helps x

• Hi,

I’d try mixing fruit and veg juices with manuka honey for that added sweetness. It is a huge benefit for the gut and bowel and see if she would be encouraged to try some geek nutrition tablets such as turmeric. I felt huge benefits, still do, with these tablets but I also add in more vitamins and minerals.