Portacath mysery

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I had a 'Power Port' portacath fitted 2 days ago and start chemo next week for TNBC.  The portacath has been a horrendous experience for me.  I'm quite slight on top and am coping OK with the incisions but what I am really struggling with is what it feels like inside me.  I am in so much discomfort in my chest when I bend down and constantly feel like I've got heartburn.  Nowhere says anything about these sensations on Google other than the 'things that can go wrong' pages.  I am also aware that my anxiety is through the roof and this isn't helping. My other half says that he's been looking at other forums and that these sensations and pains are normal.  

I am going to contact the ward tomorrow to see if they can offer advice too.

Has anyone else had anything similar with their portacath?

• Hi Rin and welcome to the community, so sorry to hear you have breast cancer, Rin if you click on cancer forums at the top of this page you will find a dedicated breast cancer forum with over 11,000 members, you will find lots of support and answers there, PS don't google stick with professional cancer organisations. If you could do a profile of your cancer journey so far it will help others on here who are having similar treatment find you quicker, if you click on my name EDDIEL it will give you some idea. Rin i wish you well with your treatment, please take care, Eddie

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your TNBC diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. As you already see the Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so abd I can see you have already joined and put up a post in our dedicated Breast Cancer……. you may also want to join our Triple negative breast cancer support group. These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

I have had a PICC line and a few Hickman Lines so it does take some time to get used to them and you may find that some nerves my be coming in contact with your port and this can develop odd sensations.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge