New to Site

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Morning.  Im new to the site having had my operation in July this year.  Im one of those 'just get on with it theres loads of people far worse off than me' kinds guys. That said Im definitely worse now than I was in June/July, incredibly emotional and cry for the smallest if no reason at all.  Anyone else have the same. 

• Hello, I am going through similar feelings. I was absolutely fine at diagnosis and during treatment, but am now struggling which has totally blind sided me. I know its easy to say but talk to someone, I dont normally chat about my feelings but have found it helped. There are lots of people out there to listen, you just need to find the way that suits you best. Mine is on support forums and a councellor, I find talking with soneone I dont know helps as there is no other baggage to deal with or fear of upsetting loved ones. 

• Morning Filbert Fox and welcome to the community, and a welcome also to the over emotional and can cry for England club, most of the guys on here are going, or have been through this, it's perfectly normal. Filbert if you could give a little information  about your condition it would help you to find others wit a similar diagnosis. It's good you have a positive outlook, but i am sure you, like many on here will find the help and support they get from others on a similar journey invaluable, please take care Eddie

• Eddie - It was prostate cancer which hadnt spread.  I shrugged it off with a 'it will be fine' attitude.  Opted for the removal operation which went ok apart from the shoulder pain from hell - nobody told me about that before the Op.  Im now at the regular blood tests and check ups stage which are going well but emotionally now is, for me, the toughest point.  Didnt have a problem from diagnosis until now 

• Hi   and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about the challenges you are facing. Navigating the post treatment world can for some, be as hard as going through treatment.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) but you don’t say what type of cancer you have but if you care to have a look through LIST you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the same journey.

Have a look through the list I have given you above and once you find the group for your cancer type you can join the group by selecting “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may also want to look at our Life after Cancer Group as this is a good place to meet up with others unpacking the post treatment life.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

EDIT- Do go and join our Prostate cancer support group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi again. if you go on the prostate cancer forum you will find guys there have gone down the surgery road. The prostate forum is my primary forum but i went down the hormone and radiotherapy route. it's great news your cancer didn't spread and I'm sure there will be guys who can share their experiences regarding post op issues. Filbert Fox you have had a cancer diagnosis and surgery, and probably had all sorts of negative thoughts, you are going to get emotional, almost everyone does. As my friend Thehighlander has given you some great advice which i know you have read and hope you use, because everyone on here has benefitted by being here. lease take care, Eddie