Processing diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi

Im new here so hello been given the bad news so all over the shop

got Gleason 9 prostrate cancer which has probably spread so preparing for the worst news from CT 

Made mistake of drinking a bottle of wine to dull my senses - won’t do that again the downer yesterday was horrendous!

I tend to be direct so hope don’t offend anyone last night I made some progress out of that black rabbit hole by identifying what I’m frightened of

Any help will be thankfully received 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about the challenges you are having but downing a full bottle of wine will not help in any way.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer type journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Prostate Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Prostate cancer then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello   I can only echo the post from  (Mike) above. it is stressful and a challenge when you have a cancer diagnosis.

I have Prostate Cancer and am also a Gleason 9 (although mine is contained within the gland). Don't worry about being "all over the shop". Take Mike's advice and join us over in the Prostate cancer forum . We are a decent bunch and you will receive plenty of help, advice and support.

I look forward to chatting to you there.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian

Thank you

Are you on Abiraterone ?

Got CT result midweek so here we go!

Regards 

Allister 

• Good Afternoon Allister

Thanks for your message - No I am not - there are plenty of forum members on Abiraterone on the Prostate cancer forum . Once you join us over there you will find plenty of support. This forum is just the New to the Community forum.

You can read my entire 23 month journey by clicking on the icon of the beach.

I set off as a lowly Gleason 7 but once the "chips" from my TURP operation were checked I joined the "Gleason 9" club. There are plenty of long standing "9" members on the forum - some on HT/RT like me - many on Chemo - and plenty who have completed treatment.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi again Brian and thanks 

what forum would you advise ?

Regards 

Allister

• Hi   We all hang out in the Prostate cancer forum . Just click on the link I have provided and it will take you there. When the page opens up, just click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page.

You can then introduce yourself in the "new to the Community" section. We are a very friendly bunch (even though I say it myself!!) I will catch you there later.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge