New to this

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hello out there! 

This is my first post. I’m feeling a little lost and not even sure what I’m looking for here. I don’t even know what sort of cancer I have yet. I had an exploratory op and a mass removed a week ago. I think the consultant said it was a type of skin cancer, but I was very groggy, so may be wrong about that, especially as the lump was on my bottom (I had thought it was piles). There is going to be a MDT meeting tomorrow to decide treatment, which the doctor said is likely to be chemo and radiotherapy. He also said I will need an MRI and CT scan. 
I feel like I’m in limbo and don’t know what to expect from here on in and despite reading some frightening things on the internet, I feel completely emotionless. Surely, that’s not normal?! Help! 

• I was told a few weeks ago I had lung cancer stage 1 and had to have two biopsies and waiting for the results and I feel numb feel like Iam on the out side looking in !! I don’t know how to feel and haven’t slept for weeks x 

hope you get your answers soon x

• Hi Veronica.

Thank you for your response. Maybe it is not so unusual to feel like this, then. You have described it perfectly- on the outside looking in.

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this too. The waiting and not sleeping really  difficult.

i hope you get your answers soon too and can get started with some treatment. 
    take care

June xx

• You to try to keep smiling x

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your ongoing diagnosis.

Navigating the cancer diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type can help a lot.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so once you know the exact type of cancer have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the same journey.

Once you find the group for your cancer type you can join the group by selecting “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge