Bladder cancer - recent diagnosis for my Dad

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi all,

No close experience of cancer in my 55 years on this earth however on Tuesday my Dad was told he has terminal cancer of the bladder which has spread to his liver and lungs. 
He has weeks/months left. 

To be sat next to him in the hospital when he was given this devastating news was truly heartbreaking.

So we’re  just starting this journey I can only hope his time left is comfortable. 

The NHS and local social support services have been fantastic and moved very quickly so fingers crossed he will indeed be as comfortable as possible. 

xx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has been diagnosed with bladder cancer which has spread to other areas of his body and I know what a difficult time this will be for you both. 

I can see that you've already joined and posted in the bladder cancer forum and that you've had a reply. I'm sure you'll find the forum really good if you want to discuss your dad's cancer and possible treatment.

Another forum you might want to join is the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum where you'll connect directly with others who are supporting a loved one with an incurable cancer.

To join just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined the forum, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks.

I have no previous knowledge of cancer so your recommendation to join the “incurable cancer forum” is difficult to absorb even though we were told he’s got months left at best.
    On top of this, the words are so finite and as an ex armed forces engineer (as my Dad was) it’s hard to believe that no problem cannot be solved (just cut the bad bits out and we crack on Slight smile

Apologies we’re only two days from diagnosis so it’s still very raw.

Thanks again I will join the forum though :). 

• I'm sorry if my suggestion to join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum upset you   but I assumed that as you'd mentioned your dad had only weeks/months left and was terminal you knew his diagnosis was incurable.

The term "incurable" doesn't mean it's not treatable just that currently there is no treatment that will "cure". Many hundreds of people across the different forums are living with an incurable cancer but are continuing with their daily lives many years after being diagnosed.

Once again, I'm really sorry for any upset caused.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Not a problem it didn’t upset me at all I was just expressing my thoughts. 
    in general if there’s been no experience of cancer in our lives we shut it out and avoid it. Human nature. 
    Then when it hits us it’s a massive shock. That’s us (me and my Dad). 
    Given the high proportion of us who experience cancer we really need to have more education. 

Thanks for the quick response.