New to Macmillan

• 5 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone, I am new to this group and want to share my story. I turned 67 yrs at the end of June, felt great even had a part time job in a care home, doing Maintenance and Compliance checks. Absolutely loved my time there and the bonus was the interaction with the Residents. But around  mid July I felt, well hard to explain. Just different  and a bit tired. As the days past  it got to a stage where I just could not do the things I had done all my life. Broke my heart but I to leave. Following day 26th July went for check up at the doctors, Bloods etc.....     Well to cut to the chase On the 24th august after MRI and CT scans, I was diagnosed Advanced ( METASTATIC ) Prostate Cancer. Shocked, but not having anything to give me a warning was hard to comprehend. Since then I have had anther MRI and CT scan. It has travelled to bones in various parts. I am on 12 weekly Injection at present and have been for a meeting with Oncology team who are now putting me on a tablet to stop Renal glands making Testosterone, then I am getting another tablet for my bones, just to try and keep them strong as long as possible.         I count myself fortunate that I have a loving and understanding family, who don't ever question me when at any time of the day I get so tired ( Fatigue ) But what hurts more than the pain is that I feel useless. And the hot sweats that happen when sleeping is awful, that bad they wake me up. Can anyone tell me will these pass. But I have always been a fighter with a great sense of humour.. And i find this along with the family helps greatly. Sorry for the long winded story, but it's my story so far and just wanted to share.  Thankyou all and God Bless. 

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer type journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Prostate Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Prostate cancer then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks For the advice, and I will do that. Keep the chin up. 

• Hello Wee Jock, first may i say well done in joining the forum, I have not been on long but wished i had been on it long ago, like you i have locally advanced prostate cancer which is terminal, as for the fatigue and hot sweats they are pretty standard with hormone therapy. most of us have found the best way to overcome fatigue is to exercise do little and often and your energy levels will improve but be patient, as for the hot sweats they usually pass but if they get too much you can ask your Dr  for help, i did We all  go through an emotional whirlwind being told we have cancer and being on HT. It is good you have a sense oy humour and a loving family to support you. i wish you well on your journey. take care. so please feel free to ask any questions we are all on our own cancer journey and if we can help we will.

• There can be only one. Wink

• Hi  

I have just read your initial post - that's a tough old journey you are on - I wish you well with your treatment.

I tend to hang about on the Prostate Cancer forum (we aren't a bad bunch) and I notice on the good advice of my friend  you have joined our little "Clan"!!

I have indeed suffered the "hot sweats" with Prostate Cancer and have found a cure that works for me (it doesn't work for everyone) but it's Sage Tablets. I get mine - called Menoforce - from Holland & Barrett (other suppliers are available). They are a tad expensive but they work for me!

If I can do anything else for you just give me a shout.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.