Hesitant to talk

• 1 reply
  • 43 subscribers
  • Hi,
  • I was diagnosed in the summer and have started treatment but it took me a few months to join this group. I feel hesitant to talk about anything cancer related. I feel scared and worry some one will say something that might make me anxious. Does anyone else feel this way?
  • Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

I can understand how you feel. Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time. I have been on my incurable cancer journey for over 24 years now....... and one of the best tools to control the noise and anxiety that spins in the space between the ears is actually talking with other who are on the same journey..... talking with people who understand.

So I recommend you connect with people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer type journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and I can see that you have already joined our supportive Breast Cancer support group. This group is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Breast cancer then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge