Low platelets

• 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi everyone, I am new here. I am 39 and was diagnosed with stage 1C1  OC in June after waiting 4 months for results from a cyst,ovary & fallopian tube removal in February. Had a full hysterectomy in July and now reviving 6 rounds of Carboplatin every 3 weeks. I have been positive about it all don’t get me wrong I have bad days but mostly good days but last week I was due my 4th chemo but my platelets were to low on Wednesday, had bloods re done on Friday (treatment day) but they were still low at 83!! Having them done again tomorrow for treatment Friday hopefully. But I just feel totally overwhelmed, defeated,angry etc about it all, feel like I am letting everyone down. This did happen before cycle no.2 and they were back up the following week, but this time round just have a bad feeling that they will be low again and will have to delay again

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and your ongoing challenges.

Please don’t feel defeated and angry about having low platelets, this is a sign that the chemo is doing it’s job, yes unfortunately chemo does kill off good cells as well as cancer cells. I have a rare blood cancer and this happened all the time during my many years of treatments….. but I am 8 years out from my last treatment, post stage 4 and doing great….. this will pass and you will get back on track with your treatment. 

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer type journey can help a lot.

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Ovarian Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Ovarian cancer then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your reply, just having one of them days…wish me luck for my bloods tomorrow

• Will do Fingers crossed

Do remember to connect in with the Ovarian cancer support group as you will connect with others walking the same path.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge