Hi just logged in to say hello

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hi just logged in to say hello, two weeks ago I found out I have bowel cancer, I have had all the tests and scans and now waiting to Hear from the team how they are going to proceed.. I as told at my very first meeting I will need a operation and chemo. It’s so new to me that I am still trying to get my head around this whole thing.. it was only 18 month ago we had to say goodbye to my nephew who was only 38 with Two young boys .. Because of lock down and a  stupid Gp he did not found out he had bowel cancer till it was stage 4 . I can’t believe it’s hit the family again so soon ..

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and to hear about your nephew.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer type journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and i do see that you have already joined our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge