Cold cap treatment during chemotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi 

im new here to forum  & just wanted advice about cold cap treatment. I’ve had 3 rounds of chemo & been using the cold cap however, each time I have it I always say “no more” afterwards! 
i find it an incredibly painful process, also very time consuming as there doesn’t seem to be time factored  into my appointment  process of applying the cap, which takes time, as most know who are using it . Mostly I am often at hospital for 6 hours or more &  last week I was at hospital from 1-8.pm in the evening, exhausting day. 
What i wanted to ask was, if I stop the cold cap , does your hair grow back ok ? Vanity, trivial question maybe to ask  I know but I am concerned it won’t Frowning2️. Any advice plz 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about the challenges you are having.

In the treatment of blood cancers (as I have) cold caps are not used as it reduces the effectiveness of the chemo so hair lose is normal….. but it may help you to get support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) but you don’t say what type of cancer you have but if you care to have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the same journey.

Have a look through the list I have given you above and once you find the group for your cancer type you can join the group by selecting “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post. You can also scroll through other members posts and click “Reply” to get involved.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  and a second welcome to the online community

I decided not to cold cap when I had my chemotherapy for breast cancer as I didn't want to spend lots of extra time at the chemo unit and had heard how painful it could be.

I had 3 cycles of epirubicin and cyclophosphamide (EC), which was given once every three weeks, and had lost most of my hair after the second infusion. I then had 12 weekly infusions of paclitaxel and towards the end of this chemotherapy my hair started to grow back. About two months after I finished chemo my hair had grown back enough that I felt okay going out without either a wig or a head scarf on.

I hope this helps

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"