Dont know where to start!

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hello All,

My husband has bowel cancer which has spread to his lungs.  9 year History is too long to tell, but he is now on paliative chemo.  He currently has Covid and is in hospital with pneumonia.  I cannot visit him as I have also tested positive for Covid.  It is so hard to get any information about how he is doing.  No one seems to take a look at the whole person, they just treat the next symptom.  

I cannot seem to get any help from Macmillan.  We went to see them a few months ago, but because he was not in imminent danger of dying and we didnt need help sorting out our finances, they said we could fill in a form about his wishes as his cancer progressed and we have heard nothing since.  

My husband keeps telling all our friends how fine he is, which leaves me quite lonely as the only one who knows how fine he isnt!

Sorry, no idea how I expect you to answer this!

Thanks

• Hi  and welcome to the Macmillan Community but so sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.and prognosis.

A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' support challenges can help a lot.

The Community is actually divided into Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and when it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your husband you may benefit from posting in our Carers only support group (that I see you have aircraft joined and also our Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post. You can also scroll through other members posts and click “Reply” to get involved.

As it’s been a few months since you have talked with the Macmillan care team I would recommend you get back in touch with them as these services can be stretched so just make sure that your husbands case has not fallen through the cracks in the system……. but you may in the first instance want to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00.

This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge