FIT test advice

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi All, 

im new here as I got a call from my GP today and my recent FIT test has shown in his words ‘microscopic blood’ in my poo. 
I haven’t had any symptoms apart from a stomach ache for 10 days which in the time since my FIT test has been processed has gone. 

he’s referred me for a colonoscopy but as you can imagine I’m pretty scared. I gave birth this year and since then I’ve had bad haemorrhoids, which when I took the stool sample they did leave blood on it so I tried to take the sample from the middle (sorry if TMI) 

I asked my dr today could it be my haemorrhoids that cause the blood and he said I highly doubt it. 

just after a bit of advice if anyone else has been through similar as I read that blood in poo can be caused by piles but wonder why my dr said they wouldn’t be the cause. My grandma had bowel cancer and so did her mum. 

• Hi  and welcome to the community.

I was diagnosed in the exact same position this time last year. FIT test was positive, GP checked me over then referred me for a Virtual (CT) Colonoscopy, this showed nothing but showed an enlarged Prostate.

Had a PSA test and it was slightly high so had an MRI and then a Prostate biopsy and nothing was found…… now having PSA tests every 6 months……..

I have lived with an incurable blood cancer for over 24 years.

I had a long conversation with the urologist and as I have had some radiotherapy to my anus and it bleeds from time to time this was seen along with some small haemorrhoids as the reason for the positive FIT. I am actually surprised that this has not happened before.

But it’s best to get fully checked out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, 

thank you for sharing your experience, sorry to hear you’ve been living with the blood cancer for so long but it sounds like you’re kicking it’s butt! long may it continue.

you’re absolutely right it’s always best to get it checked, I’m certain and hopeful it’s the haemorrhoids but just miffed as to why the Dr said they wouldn’t be the cause. But Hey Ho we should know within 2/3 weeks :) 

• Yes 24 years but I am doing good, 8 years out from my last treatment and living a great life.

Lets look for this to be a storm in a teacup….. but do remember that the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi all, so a couple of weeks ago I did a FIT test and it came back positive, just over the threshold 12ug/g. I've got no other symptoms and I don't think I've had any blood since. And not lost any weight or having any other symptoms. But I'm scared & worried - can anyone give any advice? Consultant thinks I'll be ok and nothing sinister but they don't know until they know 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to you.

As you can see from my reply to  I have been there and have the T shirt.

Having lived with an incurable blood cancer for over 25 years that relapsed multiple times I learned that you have to trust in the medical professionals..... I have also been investigated for 'other' possible cancers but all found to be negative....... the bottom line is rather simple (based on my long experience) until someone tells you have cancer..... you don't.

As simple as these words are...... don't stress something out that may not happen.... save your energy and trust in your consultant. 

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Always around on this thread to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hello  thank you for your kind words much appreciated Thumbsup