Prostate cancer scare

• 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello members!

I am 63 and 3 months ago, I started going to the bathroom during the night to wee, once or twice fairly regularly. The following morning

I would wake up, have a shower and breakfast and within a couple of hours, I felt extreme fatigue and returned to bed and sleep for 3 up

4 hours.

My PSA, digital rectal exam and ultrasound results all seem normal. My prostate gland is normal is size, so I don't have BPH.

I have been taking Tamsulosin for the past 6 weeks. According to my research, this drug is supposed to "empty" my bladder, so I

take it about 3 hours before bedtime, with no fluids past 8pm. My symptoms haven't gone yet

My symptoms are rather odd. If I go to the bathroom once, then I feel OK the next day, but, if I go twice, Then I experience the severe fatigue symptoms.

My GP has recently  referred me to see a urologist.

Has anyone been through this scenario?

I'd appreciate your comments.

DIP

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns.

This time last year I was on the exact same journey and ended up having a Virtual (CT) Colonoscopy, MRI and Prostate biopsy and nothing was found so just having 6 month PSA tests...... interesting the consultant asked if a used a bike?....... I use an exercise bike regularly  - she said that this can enlarge the prostate and give a higher than normal PSA.

Navigating the diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Prostate support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Prostate cancer then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike for your quick reply. I've just joined the prostate cancer group and plan to read the comments regularly.

Like you said, it's great that you can share stories amongst other people who are going thru their own "journeys" rather than being on your own and worry every day, especially as I live alone.

• This is what the community is here for.... you need not be alone.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge