Supplementing treatment

• 7 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hello everybody.   I am going through chemotherapy to treat stage 2 testicular cancer (embryonal carcinoma) and I have been looking at various options to supplement the traditional course of chemotherapy.  I am not looking to replace chemo but rather I am looking for ways to supplement chemo to mitigate the risk that the cancer will in the future come back in the same or a different form.   I have read the book from Jane McLelland “How to starve cancer” and been in touch with the care oncology clinic.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had good or bad experience dealing with the care oncology clinic.  Many thanks in advance.  

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can see that you've already joined and posted in the testicular cancer group and I'm sure the other members of that group will be along soon to share any experiences they have with the care oncology clinic.

When you feel up to it, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Gueum,

I am half way through this book, absolutely fascinating read. If my cancer (Head & Neck) ever comes back again I will be taking Jane's advice for sure. How are you going now?

• I am half way through this book, absolutely fascinating read. If my cancer (Head & Neck) ever comes back again I will be taking Jane's advice for sure.

For balance it’s worth paying £30 to read this 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(23)00483-7/abstract

“The idea that one can directly influence cancer through diet is an alluring one. A cancer diagnosis can be extremely frightening, and the idea of personal control is comforting. The promotion of so-called cancer-beating diets has become especially prominent on social media in recent years, and videos by wellness influencers claiming that one can starve or feed their cancers, or that alkaline foods can neutralise cancers, have huge viewerships on platforms like T*k T*k, with some of these videos having upwards of 2 billion views

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani, balance is always required I think and that is why I am interested and researching alternatives. Radio and chemo are so brutal from what I hear and not always successful anyway and certainly don't always seem to stop cancer from returning. It's a very difficult road regardless but to research is to at least be informed and that's what I want and need right now. All is going well physically recovering from oral surgery 11 weeks on but mentally I am terrified of it coming back and feel a wreck at times. Up at 2am now as having nightmares and need a distraction.

• I am terrified of it coming back

It’s a fear that we all have to one extent or another and we read how much more devastating a recurrence is than the primary event. My oncologist bluntly told me I would just have to live with it. The dread eases. I know it’s easy to say but it does. I know that a healthy lifestyle can be protective but here I am recovering from a cancer that was neither  my fault nor environmental. It just happened. I still get the odd bad day when symptoms linger but I do get comfort from Peter Harvey’s essay 

www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/.../After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Remember. We do get stuff that’s not cancer 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Dani for the reading material, much appreciated. Just read it all and it makes sense. Tough times but in time hopefully it will all get better for us all. x

• Yes, the reading all makes sense and it definitely takes time to adjust. I need to remember that it is early days for me and to try and relax more and panic less. Thanks again. x