New to the online community

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hello my name is Cath and I am new to the online community. Just a few days ago after having some tests for what I believed was IBS, I was called into my GP. I was informed that the tests had indicated that in all probability I had bowel cancer. I just sat there heard this but walked away without having time to discuss this or ask questions as my time slot was for only ten minutes.

After sitting at home crying for quite awhile I decided to ring my grown up daughters but was shocked at their reaction. I was told not to "over think" and not to worry until I found out for definite. My husband is away in Spain but is getting an early flight back as emotionally I have to admit I am really struggling. I watched my Nan die from bowel cancer and feel as though I have a death sentence hanging over my head.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced difficulty talking to their children and also any advice on what and how to cope with the next part of tests, as I don't know anything apart from I need another colonoscopy as my scan had shown thickening in my bowel. Basically I am scared beyond belief and any advice would be more than welcome. Thank you. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that after performing some tests your GP believes you have bowel cancer and it's natural to feel as you do.

The online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you join the bowel cancer group as that will give you the chance to connect directly with others who can tell you what will happen next.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You also mentioned about how to talk to your children so you might find this from Macmillan on talking to children and teenagers helpful. However, as your children are adults this advice on how to tell people you have cancer might also help.

When you feel up to it, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and tests to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much for your reply and letting me know my way round the site. Today was my first day of being able to write down my thoughts, and with my daughters reactions was unsure what or who to turn to. I don't think I have ever felt so alone in my life, thank goodness for German Shepherd's. 

I actually felt like a fraud writing as of yet I do not have a definitive diagnosis even though what my GP told me is correct. I also wish that Google didn't exist. But I do appreciate your response, thanks. 

• I'm glad you felt able to write down your thoughts as often expressing how you feel helps you to come to terms with it.

You're definitely not a fraud. Lots of people come here before diagnosis so that they can ask questions about the diagnostic process. A good proportion also come back to say that after all the tests they don't have cancer, which is always great to hear.

You are right that Google is both a blessing and a curse. I'd recommend that you avoid googling and stick to reputable sites like this one or Cancer Research UK if you're looking for information.

Wishing you all the best

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks again for your response and help finding my way around the online site. But yes definatley going to avoid google. Cathy