Help - Life Insurance

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hi,

First time here and I need some help/advice. 

Me and my partner have just purchased our first home and we are wanting to get life insurance to cover the mortgage just in case something happened to one of us. 

I have a history of Leukaemia I was first diagnosed when I was 13 (17 years ago) and then I relapsed when I turned 21. I’m now 30 and have been in remission for 9 years, I have no medication or ongoing health issues from the treatment but no Health Insurance company I’ve looked at would touch me with a barge pole and aren’t offering any coverage at all. 

Does anyone have experience of this and might guide me to a company that are a bit more open and might ask more in depth questions about my medical history rather than just “Have you had cancer? Yes? Ok we can’t insure you.” 

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

• Hi Paul  and welcome to the Community.

Having lived with and been treated for my rare type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma for over 24 years I do understand this challenge well.

I had Life Insurance as part of my mortgage before I was diagnosed and when my mortgage was paid off in 2012 I could not get any more Life Insurance. I was 56 then so slightly older but talking with others on our various blood cancer groups this tends to be the same across the blood cancers unfortunately. The only thing I can get is these over 50s/60s plans but the return is just not great and are basically seen as enough to cover a funeral.

You may want to put your question up in our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge