Supporting kids

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with leukaemia last July, it was treated and he was in remission but we found out it had returned this July. He’s undergoing more treatment and we’re likely heading for a bone marrow transplant so another tough 6 months for us all.
I’m really worried about my children (7 and 8) as they seem to get over emotional at everything, angry, upset and unable to manage or explain their feelings. I realise I’m not the person that they should ideally be talking to about this as I’m not qualified. But I’ve emailed their school (teachers and family liaison offer) and have not been replied to (and I responded to an email they sent me so I know they have received it). My doctors surgery is awful so I’m not hopeful of finding any help that way (the leukaemia was originally diagnosed as an ear infection…). I wondered if anyone knew of any other places I can go to get support for the children? Someone to talk to? I’m at a loss of how I can support them and I don’t want them to struggle any longer. I work full time so researching all the options has been difficult and I seem to go round and round in circles when I try. Can anyone suggest any services?

• Hello JCC1984 - A warm welcome to the MacMillan community. I am so sorry to read of your issues with your children. Cancer is a very emotional topic within a family. 

You could start by finding your local Maggies Centre - they are able to provide help and support - details can be found at www.maggies.org.

The Community is also divided up into many chatrooms / forums and I would suggest that you join the Leukaemia forum where you can connect with other Community members on the same journey. To join this forum, just click on the link I have provided and when the page opens up click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps, if I can provided any further help in navigating the site, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

To add to my friend  reply you may want to join our dedicated Stem cell transplant (SCT) support group. Although you used the old term Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) this is actually now done using peripheral harvested Stem Cells therefore he will be having a SCT...... consultant sill use the old term BMT when talking to folks..... this can actually really confuse people when looking for information.

I have had 2 Allo (donour) SCTs the first in June 2014 then also in Oct 2015...... yes the journey was hard but the most important thing is that in late 2013 when my condition of 14 years kicked off I was given a few years and my only hope was SCT......... I am turning 68 in Nov and living a great life.

Definitely look for a local a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do also check for any Local Macmillan Support in your area.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I will keep an eye open for you in the SCT group ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge