Whirlwind up and down in one week.

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Been unwell and increasingly tired, but within last week biopsy and AML leukemia diagnosis this week. At 71 and otherwise fit and strong, it's been a staggering piece of news, with it seems, not much statistically in my favour. I think Ill be offered hospital chemo and therapy tomorrow. The sooner the better I think. Because my blood is useless now, I'm weaker every day. Walking poor now. 12 mile hikes in June! I'm worried consultant will take one look and say palliative is only option. If I were a believer, I'd beg on my knees for just one year of remission. 1 year to put my affairs in order. Eat some nice food. Just to end a bit better than this wretched state, losing weight, no appetite. Scared shitless. Wife in tears. Me like a yo yo. It's all like a bad dream. To be in this state and to have to write to the vicar for a spot, to give up my work and holiday dates, to think about selling the car, it's  all incredibly overwhelming. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you have recently been diagnosed with AML and it's normal for you and your wife to be feeling as you do.

As you know the online community is divided up into different support groups and I can see that you've already joined and posted in the AML group, which I'm sure you'll find is a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I was diagnosed in November and was also shell shocked. Had to go straight into hospital for first round of Chemo. Horrendous feeling ill all the time losing weight and week. I was told 1-6 rounds of Chemo by injections for 7 days then about 4 weeks off. To be honest by the time I started to feel well it was time for another lot. Just started 5th cycle and not not looking forward to last one. What will happen then. No cure and not sure I can stay in Remission without Chemo. No quality to my life.

• Hi Glyndy

I'm new on here and read what you going through and feeling the same. I have my brain tumor coming up 12 months and still struggle with treatment and chemo.  But I'm still here and very lucky to have good friends and family and if you need to chat hopefully I can help. I love to talk that's why I joined the group. 

• Hi  sorry to hear about your journey...... what type of cancer do you have?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge