Mum got stage 4

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all, 

my mum just been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer,  My world has been turned upside down. Is it normal for your head to be everywhere please, I visited her last week now I’m back home I can’t stop thinking about the bits and ifs . She was too poorly for her first chemotherapy session. I’m having a job to sleep any advice would be very appreciated please

many thanks

Ian

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your mum’s stage 4 cancer diagnosis. A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type and support challenges can help a lot.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) but you don’t say what type of cancer you mum has but if you care to have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed. It’s important to get the right group as not all cancers react the same way.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same journey.

Have a look through the LIST above and once you find the group for your mum’s cancer type you can join the group by selecting “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post. You can also scroll through other members posts and click “Reply” to get involved.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of  Supporting a family member with cancer you may also benefit from joining our general Family and friends support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat where you will find one of team there to help you out. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I feel every word of this! My mum has been diagnosed with stage 4 too. I live 1.5hrs drive away. Unfortunately chemo has not started yet. It’s been over 3 months and still nothing. It’s incurable. I’m posting to say you are not alone and also hoping to see some advice from others who are coping a great deal better than I

• Hi  and a welcome to you as well but so sorry to hear about your mum. Do check out the links I gave to  but as your mum is classed as incurable you may also want to check our dedicated Supporting someone with incurable cancer support group.

You don’t say what type of cancer she has so do look through THIS LIST where you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed.

As I said in my early reply it’s important to be talking with others who have or are supporting people with the same cancer as your mum as each cancer is ever so different….. for example I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare incurable blood cancer reaching stage 4 and n late 2013 but I am still here.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge