Loneliness after cancer treatment

• 5 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hello

I wanted to ask if anyone else was finding life a bit lonely after cancer treatment? I have a family and a few close friends but have found that the dynamics of these relationships have changed and that I actually feel quite lonely, even though I’m surrounded by people all the time. 

Feeling hopeful that I’m not the only one experiencing this! 

X

• Hi  and a welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your diagnoses and ongoing challenges..

It's not something I have experienced but for many the post treatment world can be hard to navigate but when it comes to getting support and asking questions there is nothing better than talking with others who are on the ‘exact’ same cancer and treatment journey.

The Community is divided into support groups (discussion rooms) and I do see that you have already joined our Breast cancer support group. This is a safe place to tal group helpful as well.k to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support. You may also find our general Life after cancer

If you'd like to connect in with a group click on the Green (Bold) Group Links I have created above. Once the group page opens click on the black banner that says [click to join] at the bottom, or the [Join] button under "Group tools."

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New or + (Depending on the device you are using) and you are ready to go. You could copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and aim to give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• That is exactly how I feel. Everyone around me is getting on with life as normal, as they should be, but i feel as though I am stuck in time in a little cancer bubble. One of my closest friends has totally distanced herself from me, which hurts. It's hard to put my finger on it but relationships are definitely not the same andI do feel very lonely. I hope this helps you to know that you are actually not alone in this x

• Hi, I know how it feels to be lonely and angry when the rest of the world carries on. I had my pr op assentment yesterday for my 4th melanoma, this is my 2nd op within a few weeks, worried about it all the time

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

I have not finished treatment but live on my own.

I know what you mean.. Although I have very supportive friends and family theree are  long  periods when I am on my own.

• Hi there!  I totally understand how you feel.  Yes I agree with you.  I finished chemo 7 weeks ago and it is almost an anti-climax now, even though I'm grateful I'm out the other side.   I look at the world differently and also have learned that I only have so much energy - that I get tired by mid-afternoon.  I've learned to say no to people and put myself first. The whole journey has been 'interesting' in that some close friends who I thought would be there, have not and surprised by people I haven't known very well.

I don't know what kind of caner you had, mine was colon.  And the chemo has affected my muscles, so I'm going through physiotherapy, so contending with aches and tiredness.  But the big lesson is just do as much as I can.  I am also back to work which gives me a routine.  

This conversation isn't one that you can have with friends who haven't had cancer.  I'm looking forward to Xmas to having more time to finish sorting my house and doing more stuff that I like to do - like painting.  All you can do is be kind to yourself, but no you are not alone.

Sending you a big hug.

Laura xo