I'm frightened about my upcoming radiotherapy and chemotherapy

• 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

I have adenocystic cancer. I am a 70 year old woman previously fit and enjoying excellent health ( so very.fortunate).

I have had 9/3/22 a massive (17 hour) operation to my head including removal of an eye which went well but could not remove all of the tumour. 

I am now awaiting the start of radiotherapy with chemotherapy 26/5/22 and I am suddenly really frightened. My positive outlook seems to have deserted me. 

Since 5 weeks after surgery I have been very anxious about whether I am healing and have sought reassurance from the surgeons.  I think I am now at the 'boy who called wolf' stage and understandably they are not taking my worries on board and don't want to see me.

I had 2 teeth out on 3/5/22 and am hoping the sockets have completely healed in time for the proposed start of radiotherapy (which.has already been delayed). So I worry.

Has anyone any suggestions for me, or do I just have to distract myself and keep putting one foot in front of the other?

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Online Community although I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and ongoing treatment. A cancer journey can be so stressful and challenging but I do hope you find the community a safe place to get support and ask your questions.

I have a totally different (incurable) cancer that I have lived with and been treated for, for over 23 years now that included over 800hrs of chemo and 45 Radiotherapy sessions....... the thought of these treatments can be challenging but to encourage you in some small way my treatments turned a very poor prognosis from a few year on the clock in late 2013 to me amazingly being hear, turning 67 and being in remission since Sep 2016...... why amazing?....... as up until Sep 2016 I only ever had been in remission for 6 - 9 months for the first 17 years having to have regular treatments......... so please don't lose your hope, keep your focus on the greater good in all this, take each day as it comes and start each day looking for the 'gold' in that day.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we can signpost you to our various cancer support groups and other services. I see that you have joined our Adenoid cystic carcinoma group. This will be a safe place to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

If you'd like to connect in with a group click on the Green (Bold) link I have created above. Then once the group page opens click on the black banner that says [click to join] at the bottom, or the [Join] button under "Group tools."

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New or + (Depending on the device you are using) and you are ready to go.

You could copy and paste the text from this post into your new post and as always you can reply to existing ‘Discussions’ by click [reply].

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear and our Cancer Nurse Team in our Ask an Expert section helpful but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face when on a cancer journey can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area.

Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and provide support for all the family.

Always around if you need further help in navigating the community.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge