Can this community help me?

I have joined this community today after reading many times about the sadness others are experiencing but ‘just looking in’ and not wanting to post anything. Why am I writing this today then? It is 6 and a half months since my husband died. I can’t write today about the traumatic circumstances and the devastating impact of various failings but I managed to care for him at home in the last weeks. It was what he wanted and it was hard but I managed and am proud of that. Today, I feel totally lost in my life. I attribute some of this to the usual lack of sleep but also currently having to self isolate after testing positive with covid. It is hard after 36 years to be on your own but till now I have been able to go out and keep busy. If he was here with me we would potter about together, play our usual cribbage and time wouldn’t matter. He always made me feel better. So I would just like somebody to say hello and I am hoping that I will not feel so lonely today.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the Online Community although I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and the journey you are on

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we can signpost you to our various cancer specific support groups and other services but I do see that you have joined our Bereaved spouses and partners group. This will be a safe place to talk to others who may have a similar experience, to ask questions and get support.

If you'd like to connect in with a group click on the Green link I have created above. Then once the page open introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New (Computers) or + (Mobile Devices). You will then see a dropdown menu so hit ‘Chat or Start a Discussion in New here, say helloand you are ready to go.

You could copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also search through existing ‘Discussions’ and click [reply] if you want to put up a comment.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provides emotional support or just a listening ear. You may also find our Ask an Expert section helpful but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot but during these strange times it’s not that available but do check to see if any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centrein your area as these folks are amazing.

Always around if you need further help in navigating the community.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Click to see how to add details to your profile