Partner ill

• 2 replies
  • 60 subscribers
  • Hello I'm new here, not sure where to start it's a very hard situation I'm in.  My relationship has been a very long on from a very early age, my feelings have changed towards him a while ago but never knew how to say or deal with it, I suppose I just plodded on, in August last year he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and I feel my life has turned upside down, I've had noone to talk too so I met someone online and we have been talking but this has now got us both feeling very strong towards one another and I feel so guilty, don't get me wrong I will be here to support my partner through this, we both have agreed we are more like friends. I have always stuck by my partner through all his illness's but I feel I need to be free at times. Please don't judge me I'm being honest
  • Hi  and welcome to the Online Community and sorry to hear about your partners diagnosis, the challenges surrounding your life together and no, you will not be judged as a cancer journey is such a challenging time for everyone involved but I do hope you will find lots of support and comfort here on the Online Community. 

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we can signpost you to our various support groups and services so can I recommend you join our Lung Cancer group. This will be a safe place to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience or are supporting someone on their cancer journey.

If you'd like to connect in with a group, you need to join the group. First click on the Green link I have created above. Then once the page opens click on the black banner that says [click to join] at the bottom, or the [Joinbutton under "Group tools."

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘new post’ by clicking in the box near the top right with + New (Computers) or + (Mobile Devices). You will then see a dropdown menu so hit Start a Discussion in New here, say helloand you are ready to go.

You can also search through existing ‘Discussions’ and click [reply] if you want to put up a comment.

When it comes to the specific practical challenges of supporting someone on their cancer journey you may benefit from joining our supportive Family and friends group where you will connect with others supporting family and friends

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via web chat. This service provides cancer information, emotional support, benefits and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers check our Online Information and Support Section

Talking to people face to face can indeed help a lot but during these strange times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre in your area.

Always around if you need further help in navigating the community.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi bonnie 72

Sounds so familiar my husband has terminal lung cancer and we are married 36 years for years we have lost our spark and this is awful and I try to keep going Broken heart I feel terrible for him but there has been no love in our relationship for years Broken heart I'm putting a brave face on someday but inside I'm in bits .