Scared after vaginal ultrasound.

• 3 replies
  • 59 subscribers

I’m waiting for my results but feel sick and just keep wanting to cry.

i thought I had fibroids as my periods are really heavy with clots, needing to go to the toilet in the night, constipation and lower pelvic pressure.

I never even considered Cancer until the sonographer said things that alarmed me.
She said she couldn’t give me the results which is ok but then she said she noticed from my notes that I’d reported problems with area a number of times and my GP had let me down. This statement then concerned me along with when she’d finished do I feel that my GP are reliable and will they pick this up? She then said the report will go to the hospital and if I don’t hear from my GP within 7 days I’m to contact them and chase.This then filled me with fear! I said that i was worried and she said ‘why worry’ with every problem we must look to a solution?!

I then became petrified and googled ovarian cancer as soon as I got into my car and realized I had all of the symptoms and that is where I am now.

To make things even more worrying I have a mammogram booked 15th Dec as I have found a lump on either side of both breasts. 

im so unbelievably scared… 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

It's natural to be anxious when waiting for results. We've all been there and most people will probably tell you that the wait is the worst part.

My advice would be to stay away from google as you'll only find worse case scenarios there. After all nobody goes on and posts about how they had tests and there was a non-cancerous reason for their symptoms, they only go on to share horror stories.

If you have any hobbies or things you enjoy doing now is the time to indulge yourself if you can. The more time you can spend doing something that you enjoy the less time your mind will have to wander to the what ifs.

Lots of people find mindfulness really useful and, if this is something you'd like to try, clicking here will take you to the NHS page where you can download apps some of which are free.

You might also like to take a look at this article on how to ease worry when waiting for medical test results as it has handy hints and tips on coping.

The online community is divided up into different support groups I'm going to recommend that you join the ovarian cancer group and also the breast cancer group which are both great places to ask questions, share experiences and get support. I hasten to add that I haven't recommended these groups because I think you have cancer but because there you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through.

To join either or both of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

If you have any difficulty navigating the community just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help and remember, no amount of worrying will change the outcome of the results but it will affect your ability to be able to cope.

Sending a big, virtual (((hug)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you soo much for replying.. you’ve no idea how much it means to me and thank you for the advice.

I will definitely give mindfulness a go and hopefully it can ease some of this anxiety that I’m experiencing.

Thank you soo much again xx

• You're very welcome Slight smile

I remember very well how scary it was at the beginning but you've joined the right community for support.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"