Dealing with Diagnosis and Young Kids

• 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

So just over a week ago I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Cervical Cancer after my regular smear showed abnormalities and LLETZ treatment removal confirmed it. I’ve managed to have my MRI within this week which is quicker than I expected and now just have the dreaded wait on results. 

I suppose my biggest fear is I have already been told I will require a hysterectomy which I can deal with, it is the treatment/ recovery which is scaring me. I have two children aged 3years and 7months, my husband would obviously take time off but how much do they mean by rest up. I had a c-section 7months ago and was back out my bed on the 2nd day to help with the kids. This wait to see what exact treatment you will get is a tough one. Chemo scares me but to be fair they’ve not definitely said I will need that yet. 

I think I am dealing okay with the diagnosis but the word Cancer terrifies me for some reason. If they had just said hysterectomy it would have been easier. I know that probably doesn’t make sense but it does to me for some reason. Now I have all my family and friends giving me the sympathy eyes constantly when I am trying my hardest to get on with day to day life for the kids sake while I am able to do so. 

Apologies for the random outburst of information, anyone who has been through a hysterectomy and can advise on recovery it would be appreciated. I have also read about the dreaded possibility of menopause  afterwards which at the age of 32 terrifies me aswell 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Online Community although so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and your concerns, this is a hard time for you and all the family but I do hope you will find lots of comfort and support from people who understand here on the Online Community. 

The Online Community has many dedicated support groups and I see you have joined our Cervical cancer group. This is a safe place to talk to other people who might have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience or are dealing with children on their cancer journey.

If you'd like to connect in with this group click on the Green link I have created above. Then once the page opens you can then introduce yourself by putting up a new post by clicking in the box near the top right with + New (Computers) or + (Mobile Devices). You will then see a dropdown menu so why not hit Start a Discussion in New here, say hello’

You could copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also search through existing ‘Discussions’ and click [reply] if you want to put up a comment.

You may find some of these Macmillan resources helpful on understanding childrens' reactions and also talking to children when an adult has cancer. You can also download, or order a paper copy, of this booklet.

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers check our Online Information and Support Section

Talking to people face to face can indeed help a lot but during these strange times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre

Always around if you need further help in navigating the community.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• It takes time to get year head round everything. I have been on my incurable journey for over 22 years now and still have to work through the bumps on the road. Take time to look at the various information as it will help you.

Start a note book where you keep notes of the questions you need to get answers for, note down the answers you revived. Have the front page as you contacts page with names, numbers, email addresses etc

……. and the back pages are your dream pages. The plans for the future.

You may also want to start your profile as this helps you unpack your journey - Click to see how to add details to your profile. Many folks have done their profile so you can hit our community names and have a look.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge