Partner with Thyroid cancer

• 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi my partner was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer a couple of days ago at the appointment he was told it had also spread to his lymph nodes and lungs. since then he has been in self destruct mode. I have explained everything we were tod at the appointment again and again that it was treatable, but he won't listen and has convinced himself that's the end for him. I've asked him to speak to GP or contact MacMillan but he not interested. I understand his world has just been turned upside down but I don't know what to do to help him. So worried, would be grateful for any advice please.

• Hi and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your partners diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis can be very challenging and for some, the word cancer can be so traumatising. I have an incurable blood cancer and I am still here 22 years on but once I ‘understood’ the big picture the noise between my ears calmed down.

So yes, talking with others who are walking the same type of cancer treatment (support) journey (my one is completely different) will help you navigate this difficult time.

The New to Community is like the Community Reception area and as there are many cancer types and experiences so likewise the Community has many support groups so can I recommend you start of by joining our supportive

Thyroid cancer

Lung, secondary cancer

Lymph nodes, secondary cancer

groups as these will be good places for you to connect with other folks who may be on the same cancer treatment (support) pathway.

Navigating the community will depend on the device you are using. To join a group just click on the green link above then scroll down and choose 'click to join' or 'join' on the page that opens.

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a post by clicking  on ‘New Thread’ or ‘New here, say hello’ then hit the box with the X on the top right (phones).

You could just copy and paste the text from this your first post and you can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

When it comes to the practical challenges of supporting someone you may benefit from talking with others caring for family and friends so do check out our Family and friends group where you will connect with others supporting family and friends

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, nurse team support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have Cancer Nurse Team in our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers check our Online Information and Support Section

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Thehighlander for your response I will certainly look into these other forums and meantime be as supportive as I can till he's ready to talk. Take care

• You may also want to check out for a local Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing. During lockdown a lot of their services moved onto online video support. But I see our local Maggie’s (Inverness) are starting to open up for one on one support.

Over my years supporting others on their cancer journeys those who actively look for support and advice especially from people who have walked the walk do much better in their treatment than those who don’t.

But it is early days and it takes time to deal with all the emotions……. One very important ‘don’t do’ is random Google searches as this is very counter productive as you can get 1000 answers and none may be correct.

Stick to talking with folks on the groups as they have ‘lived’ experience ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge