Help Needed-

• 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi, I’m sorry, I’m not very good on forums, but I need help.

I was diagnosed with “clear cell cancer” in 2018. After surgery, chemotherapy and two different trials, the UK ran out of treatment options. I even applied for new experimental treatments in Manchester. with nothing available I went to the US and spoke to several oncologist. The first one gave me a “life ending” diagnosis. Luckily, I found one that saw my spirit and determination and has started treating me. My blood marker is reducing and I'll know after my next cycle how the treatment is working.

My greatest problem is that my dog I have had for 15 years is in the UK while I’m in the US. The vet says she has to fly in the cabin of an airplane with someone she trusts, preferably me, due to her age. She is certified therapy dog and is trained to fetch and retrieve things so I don't have to bend over and risk passing out due to low blood pressure.

I'm just in my forties and this is a lot to take in, leaving my home, job and friends for treatment. I would be so much happier and less anxious and stressed if my pup were with me. Please help, does anyone know who to contact at airlines to start discussing this?

Thanks in advance!

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that treatment options have run out for you in the UK but that's great news that you've found a treatment in the US.

As you know from joining the animals are family too group, the online community is divided up into different support groups which are great places to ask questions, share experiences and get support. I'm afraid I don't know what type of cancer clear cell cancer is so if you'd like to tell me I could give you a direct link to that group. Alternatively you could look through this list and choose the appropriate one. 

I never flew with my dogs, so I don't have any personal experience with who to contact at the airline, but I would imagine if you spoke to their customer services team they would be able to give you the information you need.

When you feel ready it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, thanks so much for that advice. I’ll add it to my profile now.