Overwhelmed

• 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

Hi, partner has just been told his long battle with leukaemia is terminal, he is only 49 and we have 3 children and I just feel completely overwhelmed. I have a good support around me, family and friends and have asked for outside support for children, but just don’t know how I can cope with my feelings, being strong for him and kids and the worry of everything going through my head. I can’t imagine a life without him.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your partners diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be very challenging but talking with others who are walking the same type of cancer support journey may help you navigate this difficult time.

The New to Community is like the Community Reception area and as there are many cancer types and experiences so likewise the Community has many support groups.

When it comes to the practical challenges of supporting someone you may benefit from talking with others caring for family and friends so do check out our Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer groups where you will connect with others supporting family and friends

To join a group just click on the link above then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens.

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones), you could just copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

You might like to have a look at this information from Macmillan on understanding childrens' reactions and also this on talking to children when an adult has cancer. You can also download, or order a paper copy, of this booklet.

Do also check out for a local Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing. They are their to support everyone in the family. During lockdown a lot of their services moved onto online video support. But I see our local Maggie’s (Inverness) are starting to open up for one on one support.

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have Cancer Nurse Team in our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge