New but not new

• 1 reply
  • 61 subscribers

Hi. I'm new to this community but unfortunately not new to the C word. I have since the age of 21 managed to aquire

1) Hogkins lymphoma ...tumour removed and treated with Radiotherapy. Age 21yrs

2) Bladder cancer - tumour removed bladder treated aged 22yrs

3) Thyroid cancer - thyroid removed radioactive  ablation treatment. Aged 52yrs

4) skin cancer - moles  x2 removed. Aged 52 yrs.

I'm now 55 and have had no recurrence of the above 2 conditions.I was told that the thyroid cancer was a secondary cancer but to this day nobody can find the primary. I have now been told that I have a small tumour in my parotid gland but after  initially wanting to remove it asap my consultant seems now to prefer to give me an ultrasound to keep an eye on it. 

Telling me I have a cancer is now like being told I have the flu. My friends and family always seem really shocked how  blasé I am when I'm talking about  the cancers .

But ....last year my husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer , he has had a year of BCG treatment and before his final 3 treatments he had the usual  CYSTOSCOPY which showed all the tumours had returned plus more.  Hes now had a CT scan and we are waiting for a phone consultation , due on Friday , to tell him if they intent to remove his bladder . He is adamant he does not want more BCG treatment as he suffered so much . 

I don't seem to be able to cope with his diagnosis in the way I have coped with mine ! I feel sick everytime I think of him having to go for more operations and am having heart palpitations.  Im trying to act normal infront of our  3 daughters . He was so poorly with his BCG treatment it broke my heart to see him in so much pain and I felt so helpless. I'm hoping after the Surgeon rings on Friday I will feel better....I will let you know !

• Hi and welcome to the community, although sorry to hear why you find yourself here. You have been through a lot yourself with ongoing problems, and now your husband's BCG treatment has been unsuccessful. Could I suggest you join the Bladder Cancer Group regarding your husband's treatment. We have a lot of varying experiences there and many members who have had bladder removal who will be able to offer support and advice. Click the highlighted link to get to the group and have a look. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?