Advice needed

• 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

Hi,

My Dad has recently been diagnosed with Cancer.

Both him and his wife are in a great deal of shock and are very much in Limbo at the moment whist they wait to hear about possible treatment options.

I have heard so many good things about the help and support Macmillan offer to Cancer patients and their loved ones so I was just wondering what help would be available to my Dad and his wife.

Does my Dad or someone on his behalf need to contact Macmillan to request help and advice or is this something the hospital will automatically arrange for him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi  and welcome to the community, although sorry to hear about your Dad. Good to know you are here looking for support for him. We know that a cancer diagnosis does not just affect the patient, but has wide reaching effects on family. The early days of uncertainty and not knowing can be very stressful. The community is  divided in to groups and if you know what particular cancer your Dad has, we can point you to the relevant group where group members will be able to help with their experiences of treatment. We also have a Family and Friends group (link) where you will get support for yourself from others with loved ones going through cancer. Once a treatment plan is put in place for Dad, things tend to get slightly less stressful as you know something is happening and you have a focus. If Dad needs extra support, could I suggest you call the free Mac helpline on 0808 808 0000 (8-8pm). You will find them very friendly and will be able to advise what help dad would be entitled to. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?