How to talk to young children about their mums hair loss

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hello 

I have been diagnosed with ovarian and womb cancer. Currently I am recovering from the hysterectomy op but about to start chemo. I have two children 4 and 6 years old. My question is how do I tell them about my hair loss and wearing a wig. My daughter is a real girly girl and doesn't like the idea of me getting my hair cut short, it isn't that long anyway just about shoulder bob. They have both been very inquisitive about all the procedures so far. 

If anyone has had experience of having chemo and young children and can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gemma

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, a Community that no one ever really plans to see themselves joining, and so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions and explaining hair loss for a child can be challenging.

I lost my hair three times in the space and of 2 years. Our granddaughters were 4 and 2 at the time and the quickly accepted that fact that the medicine that grandad had to take was giving grandad a change of hair

We do have info pages about Talking to Children and Teenagers about Cancer

But talking with other people who are on the same type of treatment journey helps a lot. The Community has various support groups and I see you have joined our Ovarian cancer group and we also have our Womb (uterus) cancer group. These are the places where you will connect with others walking the treatment journey both as a patient or family.

Follow the link I have created then introduce yourself, post questions or just  join in with existing discussions by clicking on 'reply'. 

Its always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support or just a listing ear.

The service is open every day 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here for more information.

You can also email them, use the online chat and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge