Liver/bowel cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

My father is in his mid 80s and has been fighting this for almost 9 years now following major surgery. He was diagnosed as terminal a year ago and has all but given up now. During my lastay visit he sat and cried saying he'd had enough and he wants to die which is heartbreaking to hear. His quality of life is not good and he rarely leaves the house. Around 6 months ago he started showing signs of dementia that has deteriorated quickly and I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be linked to growing tumours at all as he has become awfully confused recently but rapidly. Treatment has been stopped apart from symptom management.  Has anyone else experienced this please?

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear that your father is how he is.

I am Mike Thehighlander and I help out on the Community and I will do my best to direct you to the best place for you to find the support and the help you need. On my long journey I found the best way to navigate the various challenges that a cancer diagnosis brings was by talking with people who are on the same journey.

My cancer journey was rather different but if you follow this LINK to our Liver Cancer Forum and this LINK to our Bowel Cancer Forum you will be able to connect with people who understand the journey you are on.

Just join the group and hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group and remember to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

We also have these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum and Friends and Family Forum and Supporting someone with incurable cancer

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be helpful as you can talk to a friendly person that can help in lots of ways.

We also have pour ‘Ask an Expert’ section but please allow a few days to get an reply.

When you have time it would be helpful if you could put some information about yourself and the journey that brought you to the Community into your profile as it really does help the Community members to help you and get to know you. 

Click on your username and that will take you to your homepage. Look for ‘Edit my Profile’ click on it and start to tell us as much or as little about yourself as you want then click on save before closing the page. 

All the best. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike Thehighlander thank you for your reply. I will have a look at the different links and see which one is closest to what dad is going through. I think the bowel cancer came before the liver cancer but I'm not 100% sure. 

It's been going on for so long now and we have been through so many ups and downs wondering if he will survive for different family events and he amazes us all at how well he does considering what he's going through at nearly 84.  Even his doctors have been astounded at the length of time he's battled on but it's awful to watch him slowly deteriorate and lose the will to live. Life is so cruel sometimes. 

Thank you. Jackie