CAN YOU EAT SAUSAGES DURING CHEMO?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi!

I would be grateful for any responses.

My mum is worried about eating meat during her flot chemo and really wants to eat sausages...I was wondering if there was ok to do?

She's super worried!

Many thanks

• Hi

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but noticed that you'd put in your profile that your mum had stomach cancer. I thought that if you joined and posted in the stomach cancer group people there might be able to tell you what your mum can eat whilst undergoing chemotherapy. 

To join just click on the link I've created and then select 'Join This Group' on the page that opens. You can then post your question by clicking on 'Start A Discussion'.

Another way to find out what if anything your mum should avoid while undergoing chemotherapy is to post your question in ask a dietitian and Alice will try to respond within 2 working days.

Wishing your mum all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya, I got a list of things not to eat. I have however eaten sausages and been ok.  I was told not to eat soft cheeses, bio yoghurts and prawns etc. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Nikki

Interesting question and I think the answer could boil down to not can she eat sausages but how can the sausages be cooked as she probably should avoid fatty and greasy foods but grilled baked or casseroled should be okay and she should still be having protein as part of her meals. As she probably is only having small portioned meals it's worth trying them out to see if any reaction.

Most people who know of me here will know of my advice to members of my groups that all food should be chewed chewed as many times as possible before swallowing.

Please do ask our dietitian for advice if still unsure but remember everything is trial and error and not everyone is affected in the same way.

I had stomach surgery a while ago and had 75% of my stomach removed (not cancer related) and I eat nearly everything now even sausages from the chip shop. Taste of foods could be a different story as I believe chemo can affect the taste buds.

The members of our Chemotherapy forum Group should be able to give more advice that I can please do pop along to the group and ask the question there.

Ian

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.