impending Lymph node removal

• 6 replies
  • 5 subscribers

hello I am new to this discussion area, looking for advice.

I am due to have lymph nodes removed tomorrow following previous hysterectomy for endometrial cancer grade 3 stage 1a 

I've been reading up on Lymphoedema in an effort to understand it and hopefully avoid it. I can’t seem to find out if some nodes are left to continue their work and have been told that between 10 and 14 will be removed from either side. 

Also it’s not clear if Its a foregone conclusion that I will get Lymphoedema (the thought of it horrifies me)

Any advice / info would be much appreciated 

thanks 

• Don't worry don't be scared. The most important advice is ask questions as to why they are removing the nodes. What do these lymph nodes do. How do they work in my body. Not everybody has problems when they are removed. Phone the MacMillan and they should help you understand as to why they are being removed. Unfortunately my GP was lacking in knowledge as to why I was suffering with my legs and was not impressed when I produced a Macmillan booklet for her to read. Needless to say was not impressed and threw it back at me. That was over 12years ago. It was explained to me after my op that so many were removed, what they did and hopefully I should have no problems. My GP was no help so I changed to a different GP surgery and they understood and straight away on my first appointment made arrangements for me to see a lymph nurse. Any change like swelling or the legs feel heavy see your GP. Ask to see a lymph nurse. They are excellent with advice and will help, explain and fit a special type of stockings. Do not think that the tights that have stretch in them will help that you can buy at many a store or Internet as those will not make the lymph liquid go away. See the lymph nurse for the correct type. You don't have to wear them for life. This is my understanding of why some lymph nodes are removed. Not all in the body are removed. So don't worry. I had eight removed. So because I had cancer like you and the circle was broken it meant that hopefully no Cancer cell could reach another part in my body. Don't be scared its your body ask questions. Even men go through this experience. We are all different and I must admit reading the internet can be quite frightening. For me MacMillan have at the beginning and people who post on here have helped me to understand. Best site going. Come back and let us all know how you get on. 

• Hi Pih58

thanks for your reply 

unfortunately I’m still having problems and went to Gynecology ER on the advice of my CSN about swelling in the groin area. They said just keep an eye on it. Today the swelling is worse and I noticed a sticky feeling on the skin. The area is very red and this started after hysterectomy and diagnosed as fungal infection by gp. The cream prescribed didn’t do anything so now I wonder if that was misdiagnosed and left to get worse 

I have period like pains low in the abdomen but don’t know if this is normal after lymphodectomy 

Not sure which way to turn now so any advice welcomed 

• I do think you need to talk to Macmillan nurse for advice. Just phone the. Number on this site. Myself I had my cervix removed as well as radical surgery. As it was said no cancer yet so took out the cervix. Any way  besides trouble with lymph which happens when I have an infection which my immune system fights I find that sometimes stretching like painting a living room wall the following day I can be very sore in my groin. My personal way of dealing with any redness on my body anywhere is aloe vera. Pure aloe vera. I have a plant I just cut a piece of and use the jell inside to RU. Into the infected area. Very useful plant to have in the home and its pure aloe. In fact many of my friend also have a plant. Works wonders. The only other problem I have is my bladder. It was like a leaking tap. That is sorted now. Brill young GP. I take one tablet a day. Problem solved. Twice though because I did not empty my bladder thoroughly I developed an infection pain and stinging hot urine. That meant a trip to GP. Problem sorted. Whenever I go to see my GP with any problem with regards to my op I do not leave till I fully understand what he has to say and sometimes he draws a picture which helped me understand why I had a leaking bladder. That's it bladder tablet one a day, redness on skin means inflection use aloe vera from plant as that is pure. Wish I could be more helpful.

• Forgot to say dry skin on legs message legs with E45

Also buy aloe vera plant not products sold in shops and internet. Waste of money not 100pre cent pure. 

• Thanks Pih58

i spoke to CSN  and went to gynaecology  ER at the hospital I was treated at. They reckon the swelling in groin is lymph fluid collecting nothing major but to watch for egg shaped swellings

I also developed thrush after the hysterectomy in December and this wasn’t cleared up with cream I was given. After third visit to GP I was given one pill which supposedly will sort it. As thrush is an infection I wonder if this has caused the groin swelling which is no better. 

overnight my legs have swelled up one being worse than the other. I’m waiting for a call back from CSN about it. Not sure if I should continue with teds socks, exercise or rest!

I am hoping the swelling is temporary and common after lymph node removal as everyone tells me Lymphoedema only shows it’s ugly face months or years after surgery.

Feeling very sorry for myself just now 

thanks for listening x

• So so sorry for not answering sooner. How are you feeling. Have you managed to get the booklet Understanding Lymph oedema. A practical guide to living with and after cancer by Macmillan. Its an excellent read.