lymphedema

• 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

I have lymphedema bad in my neck and top of shoulders. i had radiation on my neck from tonsil cancer. it has been 5 yrs. since diagnosis and I am cancer free but lymphedema getting worse. does anybody know what could help?

• Hi mikey mike 4,

I finished my chemo/radiotherapy last August. I now have Lymphoedema in my throat area, I call it my turkey gobbler neck LOL. My HNC nurse referred me to a Lymphoedema clinic back in December and I had my first appointment in February since which I’ve had two more and one due again this Tuesday. I’ve been given exercises to massage the areas to get the lymph moving and some involve using a small soft ball which they gave me, similar to a stress ball. I’ve also been issued with a Hereford collar to wear for an hour or so a day. I was also taped up around the shoulder/neck area with Kinesio tape but in agreement with the nurse we’ve knocked that one on the head. During my appointments the Lymphoedema nurse uses Manual Lymphatic Drainage on my neck, throat area and gently around my ears and shoulders. It’s all very gentle and relaxing. Each session lasts about 30-40 minutes during which I also have to do the range of excerise’s she has given me. I do my exercises at home 3 times a day. I was also recommended buying a Jade Roller (just Google search jade roller) and which I now also use. Have I noticed any improvement, yes I certainly have. Perhaps you can speak to your GP, Macmillan etc to see if you can get a referral.

Good Luck, but in any case buy the jade roller. 

Carol

• Hi i too have Lymphedema in the neck area following nodes being removed in the neck. I have had the same experience as Rhondda below/above. Its always worse at night and first thing in the morning. Exercise, stretches and MLD to improve the area during the day.

I am making enquiries about acupuncture of some kind and hope my body can take on the task and take over the MLD etc soon and this is going to be expensive

Good luck and any comments are always appreciated

• A quick catch up. I've just had 2 acupuncture sessions. And although I didn't skip out of there singing whoopee I did feel better and positive as did the acupuncturist. I'll have a few more

I'm carrying on with led light and MLD treatment as I do feel better afterwards but it's tiring doing it twice a day yourself. But I've been told it's the way forward so needs must. No blog here though