Daloni update

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 91 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Well hello my lovely people.

I’ve been trying to reply on the site, but as we all know it’s not working very well right now.

I’m so touched by all the messages you have been sending to me and I’m so sorry I haven’t replied individually. I re-read everything this morning at least twice and it’s been wonderful.

I think people have asked me for an update, so I’m going to do one.

I’m in Saint Christophers Hospice in London now. I was admitted for pain management and I have to say they have done a magnificent job. I’m not going to be going home from here. This is going to be where I end my life.

I’ve had a couple of interesting conversations with the nurses and the doctors. They can never give you a clear picture of your prognosis,  we all know that. But my sense is that I’m becoming sicker each week and that I can expect to have a few weeks left now. I am free from pain. I’m free from any distressing symptoms. I’m in a kind of bubble where my physical needs are being met and also my mental and spiritual needs. You guys are really helping with that.

All the right decisions have been made regarding the future of my daughters. There is nothing outstanding. All I need to do now is let go. I have been fighting for so long that I find it incredibly hard.

The one outstanding thing is my funeral. I am planning that at the moment I will be having a small family cremation. Then later when there is covid lock down his open my family will organise a massive party in a field in Devon. So there won’t be any live streaming, sorry, just not me. But I’ll try to find a way to let you know when it is so that you can think of me. Maybe it’s an anomaly. I’ve been so public about everything I’ve experienced and gone through and now when it comes to a public event, I want to be private. I don’t know. It’s just how I feel and that’s what matters now. Also I don’t think my family would like it, and they really matter.

I’m going to carry on posting. This is not goodbye. Well it kind of is an opportunity to say goodbye just in case. But hopefully not. My love to each and everyone of you,

Daloni XXX

• Thank you for the update it is so good you do not have pain and you have the peace of mind for your daughters and the arrangements. 
    we are all with you 

lots of love 

Ruth xxx

Ruth 

• This site is impossible - I don't know how that posted without the rest of it. I've had trouble with it all... Sorry! 

I'm glad you sound peaceful and you're not in pain. I might be wrong, but it strikes me that the benefit of an illness like this is that you know how loved you are as people seem to say it far easier when death approaches. I really hope that carries you through - how lovely to be so well regarded and cherished. So great not to just have it said at at funeral where you can't appreciate it yourself. Enjoy knowing your legacy will carry on. The world was a kinder place because you were in it. 

I watched the funeral of a dear friend via streaming at the beginning of lock-down and it was an awful experience - truly upsetting and I felt so alone looking at my laptop - not at all helpful to my grieving. There is something to be said about private... Of course your family are most important now - don't over organise it all - give them some control - they'll do you proud! 

Right, goodbye precious friend - thank you for the support and guidance along the road - that essay about life after cancer still rings in my ears. Thank you for your honest and direct approach. I'm going to be walking away for a while - I need to live with a different emphasis for a while; I need to recover from some of the trauma and I need some fun. I am glad I have seen you walk through this and know what to expect when my time comes- I know it can be done and it can be done well. What a precious gift you've given us. 

Thank you! 

Much love to you and your family as you navigate these final weeks. 

Clare xx

• Dear Clare, could I please plagiarise all that you have just said and send it to daloni on my behalf? Both of you sum up what this community is all about.

Best wishes for your future. Xxxxx

• My Dear Daloni,

Like you I have not even been able to get into this website,and I am considered computer literate so that is very worrying.

I was pleased to read that you are getting very good pain relief from St Christopher's Hospice, as that is exactly what you need at this time.

Totally understand why you would want your funeral to be private,as in my view that is how it should be.

It will be lovely if you can continue to post while you are pain free,but of course understand if you can't.

Take care,& I know that many will be thinking of you on this forum. Lots of love, Georgette xxx

• Dear Daloni,

You are in my thoughts. You are amazing.  I cannot even begin to imagine what it must feel like looking down the tunnel and seeing the end rather than the rescue. It took me quite some time just to be at peace with the terminal part, and that peace mostly consists of kicking the can a little further down the road and reinstating a comfortable level of denial.  

Here in this group at least we can say see you soon rather than goodbye.

Lots of love and light,

Jamit

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gobaith

Dear  ,

I can only echo what  has said. You have indeed given us the most valuable gift possible by showing us how to do this with courage and grace. Your support has been invaluable. I hope you know how much you are loved.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My lovely Daloni

Thank you so much for your friendship when my journey started. We go back a long way to 2015 when you helped me so much at the beginning.

I have been luckier than you and am still here albeit with many problems caused by treatment.

God bless you my friend I always think of you.

Phin (Lesley)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Daloni I don’t post here now but I still look in every day, especially for an update post on you.

Well that’s 11 weeks now without treatment.  My only hope now is a clinical trial and I hope to hear if there is one suitable for me soon.

That bubble you are in sounds perfect right now

I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t thank you for all you have said in this community that has helped me, so THANK YOU.

Sending lots of love your way.

Sheena xxx

• Hello , I’m not saying goodbye yet, but if you want a just in case then I will add a few words that I am very glad our paths have crossed in this group, my gosh you’ve been in here for ages without a break, and that’s a big credit to you. I also imagine that examples of your replies will be around for ages to help any new champs, just as they were used when I started a few years ago. Your face pops up in lots of unexpected places so you must have done an awful lot of sharing your experiences for Macmillan to help others,  (Sorry Norberry not a picture of that red dress) you were advertising the community a few days ago for the east of England face book page.

I hope you have progressed with planning your funeral, or feel you can delegate to others, it’s a very personal thing with no wrong or right answer isn’t it, but lots of choices for readings, prayers, songs and personalities to play their part. I don’t know if you’ve been able to get out into the garden lately, we’ve had some terrific thunderstorms and torrential rain. The RSPB where I like to go for my walks has really sandy soil and down some of the slopes a big gully has been created by the water I noticed today. I thought I’d share a picture I took the other day (when it was sunny and I was hiding in the shade) I was intending to use it as a jogger for a visualisation walk to a calming place, when it’s difficult to get out. I should take another one though as when I enlarge it the tree and how the shadow looks just makes me laugh a bit, as it reminds me of one of these cartoon character trees Groot I think it’s called from a science fantasy/fiction film that my kids liked.

If there is anything we can do to create some sparkling conversation for you, give a nudge to  as he seems to be doing a good  job rallying some posting in the nobody’s posting thread. I hope your pain meds as still doing the business for you Take care KT x

Take care KT