Meet up in York on Saturday April 6th from 12 noon.

• 58 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I hope that it is convenient for most of you as I have arranged the meet up for Saturday April 6th starting at 12 noon at The Windmill in York where we had our last meet up.  As with previous meet ups if people can indicate their interest on this thread that would be great.

If people want to spread the word onto the other groups that they are members of I would be grateful if they could ask if people could express their interest via this thread.  I will ask those attending to send me friend requests so I can send any info and contact numbers to them directly nearer the time. I have made a reservation but the venue has asked me to call them shortly before the date to clarify how many people we are expecting to attend.

Although previous meetings have been booked from 12 to 2pm they have continued long beyond this as people got talking to each other and enjoyed the company.  Friends and family have been made welcome previously but please make sure they are aware that the common factor in those attending is cancer and it is likely to be a significant topic of conversation.  Also last time one or two people were staying over on their own on the Friday night beforehand and we arranged for people to meet up (if they wanted to) so that they weren't wandering the city on their own.

The venue is a public house called the Windmill on Blossom Street less than 1/4 of a mile from York Railway station.  On the map attached it is the junction above where it says YORK in bold print. The venue has a website ( Windmill Inn ) and serves food and real ales as well as all the usual beverages.  It has level access for anyone in a wheelchair although the main entrance is over a few cobbles.   It is on a junction opposite Micklegate Bar (pictured below) which is one of the entrances through the city walls.  It has a Premier Inn hotel on one side of it and a taxi firm (Fleetways) on the other.  It is about 100 yards from a York City Council run car park on Nunnery Lane, Council run car parks in York are free to disabled badge holders without time limit and not restricted to disabled parking bays.

To walk from the railway station leave via the main exit and the city walls are in front of you.  Stay on the same side of the road and walk over a bridge and up a slight hill and the venue is the white building on your right on the junction of Queen Street and Blossom Street.

I hope to see lots of you there. Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Gragon 

Damn and blast. I’m already booked that day. I’ll share with the womb group though 

xx

• It's in my calendar

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

I’ve shared the link in the womb cancer group and the community clubhouse from which the other champs should be able to share more widely with their groups. 

Xx

• Sorry about that Daloni.  It's always going to be difficult to get a day that suits everyone.  Hopefully someone will arrange on down south again soon and we can meet up again at that one.  That's if we are both available?

Gragon xx

• Morning Gragon, thanks for organising this, I'd love to come xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  Gragon and all kind people at this page.

I am from Melanoma group, I am 66 y.o. and I am from Ukraine.

I had OP in October 2017, then last year in August I had removal metastatic axillaries lymph nodes and my future now is absolutely unknown as there isn’t any possibility in my country to have immunotherapy if I’ll have new metastases.

Idea of such meet up of cancer patients with open discussion at my opinion is extremely interesting and may be helpful practically for everyone with oncology.

I believe in miracles especially when almost 30 years ago very kind people helped us and medicals from Brompton Hospital in London could save from death of my son Igor after very severe asthma bronchial and now he, his family, his son Arsen (10) and daughter Vlada (8) are  like very big reward for that help.

In any case I wish all of you success and to be - as long as possibly - at this side of earth and in vertical state.

Valery.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • Hi Valery,

Thank you for your response and I will happily put your name on the list. 

I certainly sometimes forget how fortunate we are in the UK for resources.  Not about our healthcare system which I sometimes moan about, usually the administration or an individual rather than the service as a whole, but things such as Macmillan which allows me to meet and keep in contact with others in a similar situation and services and facilities for anyone with a disability.  I did try to search for charities in the Ukraine working with cancer patients but could only find two both working with children rather than adults.  There was also reference to a group of people with breast cancer starting to set up a support organisation but other than that could find nothing.  I take that to mean that there is nothing similar to Macmillan in the Ukraine?

I don't know if you have come across it but there is a site called Smart Patents (click here to access) which acts as a forum and you can use it to search for treatments including immunotherapy trials in Ukraine.

I wish you and your family well and hope to see you at a meet up, if not this upcoming one then another one in the future.

All the best,

Gragon 

• Hi Gragon, just to say that I will be coming and that Sue (Skaila) is hoping to come too. We shall stay in York for a few days as York is a city that I love to visit. We both look forward to meeting as many as possible and thank you for organising this meet up.

I hope everyone is feeling as well as possible.

At the moment I am busy trying to reorganise the cupboards in the kitchen! It is a job and a half and I wish I hadn’t started but it really does need doing. If I can only do it properly it will mean I have worktops back and will be able to put everything away. 

Well that’s it I have drunk my coffee so I must get back to it. Need to clear some space so I can cook lunch soon.

love and hugs

Maggie xx

• Hi Maggie,

I've put you both on the list and am looking forward to seeing you both again.

Good luck with the cupboards.  Mine are so bad that when I open them I don't look, just close my eyes and put my hand in and use whatever comes out.

love Gragon xx