Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Meet up in York on Saturday April 6th from 12 noon.

Gragon
Posted by

Hi Everyone,

I hope that it is convenient for most of you as I have arranged the meet up for Saturday April 6th starting at 12 noon at The Windmill in York where we had our last meet up.  As with previous meet ups if people can indicate their interest on this thread that would be great.

If people want to spread the word onto the other groups that they are members of I would be grateful if they could ask if people could express their interest via this thread.  I will ask those attending to send me friend requests so I can send any info and contact numbers to them directly nearer the time. I have made a reservation but the venue has asked me to call them shortly before the date to clarify how many people we are expecting to attend.

Although previous meetings have been booked from 12 to 2pm they have continued long beyond this as people got talking to each other and enjoyed the company.  Friends and family have been made welcome previously but please make sure they are aware that the common factor in those attending is cancer and it is likely to be a significant topic of conversation.  Also last time one or two people were staying over on their own on the Friday night beforehand and we arranged for people to meet up (if they wanted to) so that they weren't wandering the city on their own.

The venue is a public house called the Windmill on Blossom Street less than 1/4 of a mile from York Railway station.  On the map attached it is the junction above where it says YORK in bold print. The venue has a website ( Windmill Inn ) and serves food and real ales as well as all the usual beverages.  It has level access for anyone in a wheelchair although the main entrance is over a few cobbles.   It is on a junction opposite Micklegate Bar (pictured below) which is one of the entrances through the city walls.  It has a Premier Inn hotel on one side of it and a taxi firm (Fleetways) on the other.  It is about 100 yards from a York City Council run car park on Nunnery Lane, Council run car parks in York are free to disabled badge holders without time limit and not restricted to disabled parking bays.

To walk from the railway station leave via the main exit and the city walls are in front of you.  Stay on the same side of the road and walk over a bridge and up a slight hill and the venue is the white building on your right on the junction of Queen Street and Blossom Street.

I hope to see lots of you there. Gragon xx

daloni
Posted by

Hi Gragon 

Damn and blast. I’m already booked that day. I’ll share with the womb group though 

xx

Lass
Posted by

It's in my calendar

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

daloni
Posted by

I’ve shared the link in the womb cancer group and the community clubhouse from which the other champs should be able to share more widely with their groups. 

Xx

Gragon
Posted by

Sorry about that Daloni.  It's always going to be difficult to get a day that suits everyone.  Hopefully someone will arrange on down south again soon and we can meet up again at that one.  That's if we are both available?

Gragon xx

Tinalay
Posted by

Morning Gragon, thanks for organising this, I'd love to come xx

Tinalay 
SkorV
Posted by

Hi  Gragon and all kind people at this page.

I am from Melanoma group, I am 66 y.o. and I am from Ukraine.

I had OP in October 2017, then last year in August I had removal metastatic axillaries lymph nodes and my future now is absolutely unknown as there isn’t any possibility in my country to have immunotherapy if I’ll have new metastases.

Idea of such meet up of cancer patients with open discussion at my opinion is extremely interesting and may be helpful practically for everyone with oncology.

I believe in miracles especially when almost 30 years ago very kind people helped us and medicals from Brompton Hospital in London could save from death of my son Igor after very severe asthma bronchial and now he, his family, his son Arsen (10) and daughter Vlada (8) are  like very big reward for that help.

In any case I wish all of you success and to be - as long as possibly - at this side of earth and in vertical state.

Valery.

Valery
SkorV
Posted by
[deleted]
Valery
Gragon
Posted by

Hi Valery,

Thank you for your response and I will happily put your name on the list. 

I certainly sometimes forget how fortunate we are in the UK for resources.  Not about our healthcare system which I sometimes moan about, usually the administration or an individual rather than the service as a whole, but things such as Macmillan which allows me to meet and keep in contact with others in a similar situation and services and facilities for anyone with a disability.  I did try to search for charities in the Ukraine working with cancer patients but could only find two both working with children rather than adults.  There was also reference to a group of people with breast cancer starting to set up a support organisation but other than that could find nothing.  I take that to mean that there is nothing similar to Macmillan in the Ukraine?

I don't know if you have come across it but there is a site called Smart Patents (click here to access) which acts as a forum and you can use it to search for treatments including immunotherapy trials in Ukraine.

I wish you and your family well and hope to see you at a meet up, if not this upcoming one then another one in the future.

All the best,

Gragon 

Alive
Posted by

Hi Gragon, just to say that I will be coming and that Sue (Skaila) is hoping to come too. We shall stay in York for a few days as York is a city that I love to visit. We both look forward to meeting as many as possible and thank you for organising this meet up.

I hope everyone is feeling as well as possible.

At the moment I am busy trying to reorganise the cupboards in the kitchen! It is a job and a half and I wish I hadn’t started but it really does need doing. If I can only do it properly it will mean I have worktops back and will be able to put everything away. 

Well that’s it I have drunk my coffee so I must get back to it. Need to clear some space so I can cook lunch soon.

love and hugs

Maggie xx

Gragon
Posted by

Hi Maggie,

I've put you both on the list and am looking forward to seeing you both again.

Good luck with the cupboards.  Mine are so bad that when I open them I don't look, just close my eyes and put my hand in and use whatever comes out.

love Gragon xx

Lass
Posted by

I hope you don't mind this post Gragon. If you do, please report it to the Admins for them to zap it gone!

I just wanted to let folks in the area know that this weekend is the Wakefield Rhubarb Festival. I went a couple of years ago and it was really good. Some lovely stalls, amazing edibles, funny street entertainment, and interesting demos.

I'm heading there again on Sat, but it's also on Fri and Sun too. Sunday has a Bake Off contestant doing a demo, Sat has Chris from Eat Well For Less, and Friday has.... a gardener I think. She's making rhubarb jams and chutney etc.

So yeh, if you've nothing on, I'd def recommend popping over.

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Gragon
Posted by

Hi Lass,

Not a problem.  The only reason  I would point it out to admin is so that they could attend as well.  Rhubarb, beloved vegetable of the low carb diet.  Enjoy your week end.

Gragon x

Lass
Posted by

Well, I believe they're only over in Shipley! Lol

It'll be my second time out of the house this year, for something that's not a medical appointment. So def looking forward to it! Just waiting to hear back about disabled parking nearby.

Hope you're doing something nice yourself!

Lass

Xx

SkorV
Posted by

Hello once more, dear Gragon – my new English “friend-colleague”,

Unfortunately we are rather “colleagues” with our disease, isn’t it? And thanks once more for choosing me as friend at this respectable Forum.

Your  York looks more than attractive, your idea is very good but as I can see - about it I was writing to you in PM - or rather as I can guess - for me, unfortunately, it’ll be impossible to meet you at the beginning of April in York. Nevertheless I wish you success and good luck in organizing and holding your wonderful event for cancer patients.

I see too that part of my post was deleted by administrator. In addition, Tvman, sent me an open, but rather sharp letter.
I also want to say openly - I do not ask to send me money. I understand that I am a completely new and absolutely unknown person. Besides, I must say that I could pay myself for the flight Kiev-London (Luton)-Kiev as it seems now it is only about 80 Euro – for me it is rather not so small but and not extremely high sum.

But what to do then – frankly speaking, I don’t know as I am afraid that traveling over UK and accommodation will be simply impossible for me, even irrespective of that fact that till now I’m still working at rather not bad work (of course, as for Ukraine) + I receive pension.

In any case – and for me it is very pity - but all these my questions are rather from dreams, fantasies and unrealizable hopes. Therefore I wish you once more all the best!!!!!

Excuse me my maybe not so excellent English. Please, try to know that I would like to be good and real friend and I will look forward to hear from you as soon as you can.

Sincerely yours,

Valery