Meet up in York on Saturday April 6th from 12 noon.

• 58 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I hope that it is convenient for most of you as I have arranged the meet up for Saturday April 6th starting at 12 noon at The Windmill in York where we had our last meet up.  As with previous meet ups if people can indicate their interest on this thread that would be great.

If people want to spread the word onto the other groups that they are members of I would be grateful if they could ask if people could express their interest via this thread.  I will ask those attending to send me friend requests so I can send any info and contact numbers to them directly nearer the time. I have made a reservation but the venue has asked me to call them shortly before the date to clarify how many people we are expecting to attend.

Although previous meetings have been booked from 12 to 2pm they have continued long beyond this as people got talking to each other and enjoyed the company.  Friends and family have been made welcome previously but please make sure they are aware that the common factor in those attending is cancer and it is likely to be a significant topic of conversation.  Also last time one or two people were staying over on their own on the Friday night beforehand and we arranged for people to meet up (if they wanted to) so that they weren't wandering the city on their own.

The venue is a public house called the Windmill on Blossom Street less than 1/4 of a mile from York Railway station.  On the map attached it is the junction above where it says YORK in bold print. The venue has a website ( Windmill Inn ) and serves food and real ales as well as all the usual beverages.  It has level access for anyone in a wheelchair although the main entrance is over a few cobbles.   It is on a junction opposite Micklegate Bar (pictured below) which is one of the entrances through the city walls.  It has a Premier Inn hotel on one side of it and a taxi firm (Fleetways) on the other.  It is about 100 yards from a York City Council run car park on Nunnery Lane, Council run car parks in York are free to disabled badge holders without time limit and not restricted to disabled parking bays.

To walk from the railway station leave via the main exit and the city walls are in front of you.  Stay on the same side of the road and walk over a bridge and up a slight hill and the venue is the white building on your right on the junction of Queen Street and Blossom Street.

I hope to see lots of you there. Gragon xx

• I hope you don't mind this post Gragon. If you do, please report it to the Admins for them to zap it gone!

I just wanted to let folks in the area know that this weekend is the Wakefield Rhubarb Festival. I went a couple of years ago and it was really good. Some lovely stalls, amazing edibles, funny street entertainment, and interesting demos.

I'm heading there again on Sat, but it's also on Fri and Sun too. Sunday has a Bake Off contestant doing a demo, Sat has Chris from Eat Well For Less, and Friday has.... a gardener I think. She's making rhubarb jams and chutney etc.

So yeh, if you've nothing on, I'd def recommend popping over.

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi Lass,

Not a problem.  The only reason  I would point it out to admin is so that they could attend as well.  Rhubarb, beloved vegetable of the low carb diet.  Enjoy your week end.

Gragon x

• Well, I believe they're only over in Shipley! Lol

It'll be my second time out of the house this year, for something that's not a medical appointment. So def looking forward to it! Just waiting to hear back about disabled parking nearby.

Hope you're doing something nice yourself!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello once more, dear Gragon – my new English “friend-colleague”,

Unfortunately we are rather “colleagues” with our disease, isn’t it? And thanks once more for choosing me as friend at this respectable Forum.

Your  York looks more than attractive, your idea is very good but as I can see - about it I was writing to you in PM - or rather as I can guess - for me, unfortunately, it’ll be impossible to meet you at the beginning of April in York. Nevertheless I wish you success and good luck in organizing and holding your wonderful event for cancer patients.

I see too that part of my post was deleted by administrator. In addition, Tvman, sent me an open, but rather sharp letter.
    I also want to say openly - I do not ask to send me money. I understand that I am a completely new and absolutely unknown person. Besides, I must say that I could pay myself for the flight Kiev-London (Luton)-Kiev as it seems now it is only about 80 Euro – for me it is rather not so small but and not extremely high sum.

But what to do then – frankly speaking, I don’t know as I am afraid that traveling over UK and accommodation will be simply impossible for me, even irrespective of that fact that till now I’m still working at rather not bad work (of course, as for Ukraine) + I receive pension.

In any case – and for me it is very pity - but all these my questions are rather from dreams, fantasies and unrealizable hopes. Therefore I wish you once more all the best!!!!!

Excuse me my maybe not so excellent English. Please, try to know that I would like to be good and real friend and I will look forward to hear from you as soon as you can.

Sincerely yours,

• Hi Valery 

I've done a little research for you. A return trip from Kyiv-Boryspil to London Stansted, leaving on the 5th April and returning on the 8th April will cost €56.45. However, and I thought this would be the case, a return train journey from London Stansted to York will cost much more, about €100!

It's just unbelievable that you would pay more for the train journey than the flight. 

I don't know if you have a passport or need a visa or would get interviewed on arrival, a lot of unknowns. I've nothing against you my friend, I know that no one can hint at financial help, which is why admin edited your post. It would be good if you could make it. 

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi Tvman,

Thank you ever so much for your kind and warm answer and for your so wonderful calculations of my (possibly) flight with travel to  UK - your ancient but such wonderful and such very famous country.

I have a foreign biometric passport and now with this passport we travel to Europe without a visa. Do we need a visa in the UK now? I do not know yet. But I think this is not a very big question.

By the way, with your calculations you seemed to have unleashed "my old wound" - after my last visit to the UK and after helping there for my son with asthma - for all these 30 years I dreamed of going to your country. And now – it seems - there is a minimal chance, although and with a very bitter aftertaste of my such serious illness.

I am glad that you do not seem to think now that I am an adventurer.

I wish you and all the guests of this representative Forum Health and R E C O V E R Y !

• Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that there is a meet up planned in York on April 6th.  It would be lovely to see as many people there as possible.  If anyone is worried about attending on their own people have previously attended with partners, relatives or friends including other members of the community.

Anyone living in the London area and put off by the journey, the train journey from London to York is about two hours so when I attended a meet up in London I did it as a day trip.

If anyone has any questions about the meet up feel free to ask me and I will try to answer as much I can.

I hope to see you soon,

Gragon 

• Hi All,

If anyone posted this on another group I wonder if you could just check and if there is anyone interested and let me know.

To date I have heard from,

Hopefully now that it is getting neared the date (April 6th) people will be a bit more aware of whether they can make it or not.  It would be nice to see a few more although last time a few people just turned up on the day.  If anyone has any questions about the venue or meet up please feel free to ask.

All the best,

Gragon x

• Hello, I may be able to attend - I am trying to book a holiday so need to be flexible with dates

Will let you know for definite

Thank you x

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Please count me in. Have  2 spaces in the car, so anyone wants a lift to York from Leeds for free will be happy to accommodate.