“ tis the season”

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 33 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Today I went into town and the Christmas decorations were already up and it made me think of everyone in our little corner of the forum and how we will be spending the festive season. I’ve always been a bit of a grinch but this year I somehow feel different and have decided to embrace it. I suspect for some of us it will be a time of joy and also contemplation but the excitement of children can be uplifting and infectious and so I intend to channel my inner child this year and enjoy what it brings. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Jane

I hope 2 b celebrating xmas as I have every year with my little family (husband, daughter & f-i-l)) but this year I have a horrible feeling & can't quite get as enthusiastic. 

Due 2 c Onc during the 1st week of Dec. Do I continue with this chemo (running out of regimes), is there an alternative or do I stop treatment?

My black sense of humour frequently tells husband 2 make sure he gets a receipt 4 any of my prezzies...

Would like 2 hope I have more Christmases left in me but 2 b honest this year had bn rough & the alien boob...well wot more can I say

But let's go 4 this one as if its the last...spend spend spend, eat, drink & b merry 

Ho ho ho

WB xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear wee blonde, I know that stress levels increase in the run up to a review with the consultant but it’s good it’s early on in December so whatever the outcome you will have time to process what happens and prepare to spend Christmas with your family. I’ve bought myself a Christmas jumper for the first time to wear on my weekly visit to the hospice, we’re making decorations to sell to raise funds so I can’t avoid getting into the spirit of things ! They will never guess I am really the worlds biggest grinch ! I might even treat myself to a sweet sherry as a special treat !

• It's a strange time isn't it? Hard to know what to do, feel, who to see. I remember wanting another Christmas. It's an emotional time anyway, without illness or disease. I have made my pickled onions, which I didn't do last year.

How does everyone else feel about Christmas? 

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Dear flowerlady, I agree it is a season of mixed emotions, however it’s good to prioritise how you will spend your time and focus on the people who have supported you in your times of need. I have no children or extended family so will spend it’s quietly with my beloved husband who has been my rock throughout my illness. I enjoy looking at the Christmas lights and I’m quite partial to a mince pie !

• FormerMember

I have unfortunately been too ill recently to get out and get on with things and that has led me to thinking about what I can get on with whilst in doors. This of course due to the time of year has led to Christmas preparations. 

Usually I would not do anything Christmassy until 1st December that goes back to when I worked in schools and our head for 15 years insisted on no decorations or rehearsals etc till then. 

I decided to do cards last week and for the first time ever I had a funny feeling and I found myself saying to my husband that if anything happened still to send the cards as they have both our names on. 

I don't really think my demise is that imminent but I think that my current illness which is lingering after my RT and the uncertainty of what actually is left to try mixed up with the anger that the plug has been pulled on my funding for the only drug that worked is making me feel very vulnerable. 

Luckily my grand children will be keeping me on my toes, I have frozen 2 to look forward to this weekend with my daughter and granddaughter. I will have to plan something for my grandson for another weekend. 

I do love Christmas this will be the first Christmas my husband has had to work but he will be home at night. I have decided to stay home though and not travel to my daughter's as I would miss my husband. However my children must have been talking as my son and his wife, who always stay home alone for Christmas, have asked.if I would like them to come to me. So it will be quieter than usual but still very nice. 

• FormerMember

Dear maz, I hope you have a lovely time going to see frozen 2, it will be an exercise in escapism. I know what you mean about feeling vulnerable especially around treatment options, it can be hard to balance times like Christmas with the daily pressures of ill health, but if there is joy to be had I try to take it even though it doesn’t change my situation overall. I might even try to cook the Christmas dinner, which will come as bad news to my husband !!!

• FormerMember

Hi

My family is big on Christmas and on doing it together. This year we will be with my nieces who have both bought houses in Norwich during the last 12 months. They live a few minutes drive from each other. There will be 11 of us - my sister and brother in law; my nieces and their spouses; my other sister and new boyfriend; my girls and me. 

Our plans include a mass stocking opening opening on Christmas morning then breakfast before one niece goes off to her job as a community nurse. We will have a late dinner to accommodate her. There will be lots of games, singing, trips to the coast to see the seals, dog walks for Noodle and plenty of eating.

I am realty hoping Operation Have A Great Christmas will come to fruition. It’s my last immunotherapy infusion today, scan next week, meeting to discuss the scan the following week and then some time off. I’m going to insist on it. 

This could be the last Christmas without tiny ones. One niece is hoping to start a family so maybe next year I shall be a great aunt. I do so hope I’m around to see it. 

xxx

• FormerMember

Dear daloni, it’s wonderful to hear you will be spending Christmas surrounded by the love of your family after a year of ups and downs, make sure you don’t leave any chocolates wrapped up under the Christmas tree or that puppy of yours will be opening his presents early and you don’t want  a unexpected trip to the vets ! ! !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well Christmas has definitely arrived at the hospice crafting class, we’re making things to sell at the Christmas fair so there is no avoiding it this year for me !!! I’m trying hard to keep my inner grinch inside by disguising myself in a Christmas jumper. It’s good for me though as I would probably have given the whole thing a miss this year. I think what it’s taught me is being in a group of loving people can encourage you to get in the the spirit of things even though you are having a tough time.

• FormerMember

Well the Christmas decorations are up !! There’s something about Christmas tree lights I really love, I think it triggers childhood memories of a time when my life was less complicated. Hubby is going to cook Christmas dinner this year for the first time in 36 years of marriage! I’m determined to get into the spirit of things this year despite normally being the worlds biggest grinch. I want to make it a happy memory for my husband.