Update & Request For Information

• 7 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hello again everyone,

Over the last fortnight I have attended two weekly Macmillan Daycare sessions at our local hospice (Roxburghe House, Dundee) and I have enjoyed talking to others in similar situations with cancer.

However, I now have doubts about my diagnosis and I am bordering on denial and asking for second opinions. Compared to others that I have met recently, I have no symptoms or suffering from any pains. It may be that the care team have all the proper pain-relief medication in place but I am wondering if any others have have had these kind of thoughts and what they did about them

After being given an estimated life expetancy in early January of between 6-9 months I am now down to almost 1-4 months and I feel better than I did in January.

Thanks Again,
Bob

• Hi Bob, good to hear your going to the day hospice, been going for a good few months, wonderful places, I can relate to you having no symptoms from your cancer, a few people are lucky that way, apart from a little urinary incontinence now and then I wouldn't know I had prostate cancer, though the treatment reminds me, I am happy for you that you have no pain or symptoms and hope it remains that way for you, Personally i have never doubted my diagnosis, though I know their prognosis can be way off the mark, I know many years past where the were told, even a few 10 years past and 1 guy 20 years past. Though I doubt a misdiagnosis, it is your choice to get a second opinion, I am just going to enjoy the time i have left with hopefully no pain for some time yet, best wishes.

Eddie

• I wouldn't put too much trust in the prognosis.  It's a professional "guess" or prediction.   I asked on diagnosis, and then I decided I wouldn't ask again but I would take a "read-the-room" approach.  

It's great you're feeling better than before.  

• Hi Bob

I'm not sure if pain is a reliable indicator for cancer. I guess it will depend on what type of cancer it is, which organs are affected, and maybe whether nerve pathways are involved. I had several large tumours detected on a CT scan, but I had no pain or any other sign that I had cancer. I still don't get any pain from them, two years later.

I think scanning, and blood tests are  pretty accurate in detecting cancer, and I presume you will have had several of those....yes, they are interpreted by humans, so there must be a margin of error, but it is unlikely to be major.

As others have said, you can always ask for a second opinion. I would ignore the prognosis...it is 'guesswork', and there are so many factors to consider it isn't worth taking much notice.

What is important is that you are continuing to feel well, and live your life as you want to! You don't have to let your cancer define who you are, or how you live your life!

I hope you continue to feel good!

Hugs

Kate

• You don't have to let your cancer define who you are, or how you live your life!

Thank You Kate, much appreciated Slight smile

• Hi Bob

I have never asked for a prognosis, partially because I didn’t think I would get an accurate view as so many things can affect it. But mostly I didn’t want a huge “use by” date sitting over my head. If you can, do your best to enjoy these good times and forget the expiry date, hopefully it was hugely inaccurate. Cancer isn’t usually painful until it impacts upon something. I have had absolutely none from mine, however the effects from the treatment are a whole different matter. Things can change in an instant, so here’s hoping you get a good long batch of quality time. 

• Hi Coddfish

I love your description of having a huge use by date sitting over your head! That's exactly how I feel about the whole idea of getting a prognosis. Thank you for your lovely wise posts, and your blog. 

Hugs

Kate

• Cancer isn’t usually painful until it impacts upon something. I have had absolutely none from mine, however the effects from the treatment are a whole different matter

Thanks Everyone.

During my first tangle with throat cancer in 2021, I had no prior pain but only an enlarged lymph node on my neck - this was first noticed by a medic at my first Covid vaccination who advised me to have it seen to soonest. I ended up having 30 sessions of radiotherapy before getting rid of the cancer. I suffered quite a lot from the RT and I am still recovering from that. I couldn't have chemo as I was immuno-supressed at the time due to another problem.

This time, however, it was severe chest pain that drove me to my GP and onwards from there. When the oncologist stated that I would have 5 sessions of RT as a palliative measure, I thought that I would manage this easily but I underestimated the effects and suffered greatly once again. This time I refused chemo (GemCarbo) as I did not feel that the benefits would make much difference.

It's just that I expected the pains to continue but it would seem that the prescribed analgesics are working for me.

Thanks Again,
    Bob