How well I look!

• 45 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I've been told how well I look by friends and at the moment I do feel OK most of the time, apart from my bowels playing up, been told by consultant it's probably  the tumour in my cervix pressing on my bowels, plus long term effects of the brachytherapy. I feel quite nauseous when this happens, usually in the mornings. It's funny, but sometimes other people think because you look OK it can't be that serious and that there must be something that can be done and that I'm being pessimistic and negative, when in fact I'm just being realistic.

Also, because I didn't lose my hair during my chemo and radiotherapy last year, maybe they think the cancer can't possibly be that bad. It didn't work and the cancer came back. I get a bit irritated when others tell me to keep positive. I know they mean well of course and on the whole I'm keeping cheerful with my rather dark humour, which upsets some people who interpret it as negativity. I've always had it though, well before my diagnosis. I'm enjoying days out and doing things, planning holidays etc and had a comment from a friend saying that for someone who's so ill I get about a lot!  It seems you can't win. Rant over.. for now!

• So true Sarah, we have to smile and keep our thoughts to ourselves, but I hope they don't get cancer either, 

• Yes I would sincerely not wish it on my worst enemy.

• Exactly, you probably look very good, but if they had exray eye they'd change their minds 

• I went to an event last night where there were quite a few people I haven’t seen for a few months. The “you look well” seemed to almost always be followed by “have you had the all clear”. People rapidly back away or change the subject when I answer that one truthfully. It’s often easier just to say they don’t use that language any more.

• Yes it's possible to look perfectly well and inside be shot to pieces...and feel emotionally sh*t as a result of having a short life expectancy 

• Yes indeed Codfish. People don't know how cancer works. They don't know that some people will never get a remission. They think that even if cancer has spread they can.still cure it though, right? 

• Well we might be incurable but we're treatable, on the good morning thread we have been discussing how long we have continued after diagnosis me 2 year's chelle 14 years, absolutely fabulous, by the way it's a great but silly thread so if you don't like to laugh don't go on it 

• Hey thanks Ulls and for the record I LOVE to laugh preferably loudly and rudely and at the expense of cancer and the ridiculousness of everything sometimes. And I was supposed to die a year ago and didn't and am alive thanks to drugs that didn't exist until recently. And hoping to stick two fingers up to my cancer for a good while yet preferably with lots of chocolate involved.and thanks for the lovely and timely dose of optimism:-)

• I'm with you all the way on this one. I get sick of people saying the same. I to enjoy goin places even of its jumping on a bus to next town. I've done a couple of 5 day holidays on my own and they were brilliant. I'm of to a spa for 3 days in March. Thankyou for sharing this post xx

• Hi Bev, I love your idea of having short breaks. When our children were younger the five of us used to head to Scotland on the ferry and drive to weekend breaks in the Stena brochure or Blackpool, the Lake District both in the Stena brochure. 

Mrs Tvman will be retiring at the end of June this year which is when the school holidays start in Northern Ireland. She wants to make memories and go places with me. Unfortunately we have to stay in Europe and my haemotologist said we mustn't go outside Europe because of my bone marrow cancer, but hey, there's an abundance of destinations in Europe. There's also an abundance of places in the UK and of course Ireland and as we'll both be 65, we'll benefit from free public transport in the whole of Ireland. We already have had free transport in Northern Ireland since we were 60 and from 65 we'll be able to have free transport in the Republic of Ireland too. One of the advantages of living on the island of Ireland

Tvman xx 

Love life and family.