Playlist for our Govt

• 26 replies
  • 22 subscribers

The Desert Island playlist made me think about songs appropriate for the current shambles which calls itself a Govt especailly after yesterday's shenanigans.

It gave me some vim and vigour, when at the moment I feel quite listless - so how better to counter listlessness than with a list! :

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation ( Steeleye Span)

Fools to the left of me, jokers to the right ( stuck in the middle with you) Stealers Wheel

Selling  England by the Pound ( Genesis)

Living in a Gangsta Paradise ( Coolio)

From Russia with Love

Money for nothing ( Dire Straits)

Thick as a Brick ( Jethro Tull)

Pretty Vacant ( Sex pistols)

Money ( Pink Floyd)

You're so Vain ( Carly Simon)

The Great Pretender ( Queen)

I could go on, but over to you - any spring to mind?  I am just so tired of the political landscape and so enraged by what is happening to NHS, Ambulance Trusts, Dentistry, etc etc etc

If I have offended you - well in a politician's  way I will say, sorry for any offence caused ( but like them I dont actually mean it)

• You are just like Sal and Rainieday OBS, always beating about the bush. 

Ho ho ho.

• No , we're all incurable, not dying. I for one am living. It has been said that from the day we are born, we are dying. If people want to express their political views then head off to the Room. I believe it is soundproofed. We don't have a conservative party here or a labour party either, we have enough problems with unionism and nationalism, so much so that a party which is neither has made leaps and bounds in our last election but still we have no government!

Love life and family.
  • I thought this was a safe place., And yes i make choices how and what i read on the forum and on that note, i will go hang out where the photos and art stuff is and live out the remains of my days there,  without having to read anymore of this demoralising stuff.

• Hi, Well this has rattled a few cages. I shall add my 2p's worth. It might be an idea to relegate party politics and religion to The Room perhaps? That way one could vent away about something without worrying over much. I thought that was what it was for??

Personally, I'm grateful I have art to escape to as the news of late has been dreadful, though why I think it's dreadful will be different to your reasons OBS. What really gets me is how we, as a species and a society have become so petty and trivial. The worst aspect of it all, in my view, are the media. They whip up any piffling thing into a frenzy. And yes, I actually do think that having a bit of cake and a glass of fizz on your birthday, and then going back to work because you are trying to run the country in the midst of a pandemic, is in the grand scheme of things, just about as pathetic a story as one can get. I'm sick of hearing them all bang on about it. I wonder if the press in other countries drone on about similar trivia? Is it any wonder that this species is doomed?

That's enough from me.  Rainie x

• Well said , as I said earlier, political, religious views should be vented in the Room. So some say don't read it if you don't want to but the thread is called Playlist for our government but that headline doesn't prepare you for political views. Love you OBS but next time head for the Room please. To emphasise my reply, the thread has already been moderated and is being watched, I believe.

Take care everyone and stay friends

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hey OBS, I'm quite sure that it wasn't your intention to offend anyone and I, for one, wasn't offended as such. I'm sure we could discuss all sorts and agree and disagree about many things in an amicable fashion, but on this forum, given what we're all facing, I do get a sense that some people get a bit weary about politics. Given the ages of most of us and the number of governments, of all stripes, we've all lived under, it's not that surprising. If, as you say, you're still energised by the debate to be had then I say, 'Good for you'. I'm pleased that you have the energy.

You all know that I'm a big fan of The Eagles & their frontman Don Henley, who himself has been an environmental activist for many years. I too spent a good time working for a national pressure group and part of my remit was to do political lobbying, so I've had a flavour of how this country runs and how it doesn't. But I came to the same realisation as Don and he expressed it in the following lines:

'And have you noticed that an angry man can only get so far?'

Until he reconciles the way he thinks things ought to be,

To the way things are.'

[from My Thanksgiving by Don Henley]

Love from Rainie x

• Right, relegated to the Room I am.

• I think that the title of this thread is enough of a warning as to it's content. It seems to be in The Room now, I don't know if that's where is started as I don't access threads that way. Back in the day I used to listen to The Beat, Stand down Margaret. Currently I feel nostalgic for those days, as Shappi Korsandi said on the news quiz this evening  soon I'll be thinking that Mussolini and the Ayatollah weren't too bad.

There was a Sheffield band called Don Valley and the Rotherhides, they did a song about Mrs T as well, but I won't name it here.

Anyway I am mad and sad about the current situation, I know that people don't come here to argue, but I want to acknowledge that there is stuff to argue about.

Best wishes

Sarah 

• Bang on Sal. The fact that people are currently arguing shows there is stuff to argue about.

Most of us have terrible things wrong with us. We don't spend all our time in here boring people about it.

When people have good news we are all so pleased. When the news is not so good then we are sympathetic.

That leaves a big gap to discuss other things of interest. It can't all be about fluffy kittens, the world is changing daily and everything needs a good strong discussion.