Music i play all sorts

• 44 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Well i play music every day, as i am here on my own, and i have a wide spectrum of taste, so it got me thinking, and that can be hard, the first record i ever bought and this will give my age away.

So the first record or cd you ever bought, for that what song.

Mine   was Stupid Cupid  by Connie Francis a lot of younger members will not have heard of her.

I did not even have anything to play it on was hoping Father Christmas would bring me a Record Player and he did.

Have a good Day,

Ellie x

• First record I ever bought,  touch too much by the arrows. I still have it and every other piece of vinyl I have ever bought.  I still have every cd I have ever purchased too. My musical taste crosses just about every genre except possibly house and garage which I think sound more like outside Karsi lol

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• I don't know what house and garage is - apart from it being where you live. Can you give examples?  The sound I cannot abide is rap. Just prefix it with the letter 'C' and that sums it up for me.  As far as I'm concerned it's not music at all.  Rainie x

• I'm with you there Rainie. I like all sorts too apart from American Rock.  My guilty pleasure is Glenn Miller. 

• My first album as a teenager was David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.I remember playing it over and over - not sure what my mum would have thought of the words in "Time" - " Time falls "w*****g" to the floor! I saw him live 3 times over the years - what  a showman he was. Mesmerising right to the end with the album Dark Star. Now I am very eclectic in taste - love Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, London Grammar, Elbow, Nirvana, old and new stuff - musnt stand still and there is some interesting music out there. And some old timers releasing new stuff - just  seen Janis Ian has released her first album in a very long time ( and says it is her last). I  even like some rap - Stormzy has some great lyrics and a recent Mercury nominee Berwyn is an interesting melodic rapper. My bete noir is jazz -just dont get it.  But difference is what makes the world go round.

• I have been thinking about funeral music too - making lists of possible suitable stuff - I want the whole crowd in tears! I went to a friends funeral and her choices were magnificent - we went into Elbow's "One day like this a year" which was uplifing, then a beautiful soloist sang "Wild Horses" by the Stones, and then we left to " oops upside your head"- I dare anyone not to try dancing to that - it was a lovely service and so much of her was in those choices.

Music can express so much about us and what we stand for.

xx

• I have asked for ' all things bright and beautiful' for a bit of niceness then Jerusalem for a bit of noise. That's all.

• Oops upside your head - haha- it's a dance we still do often at our staff parties and then wonder why we are aching the next morning! I would love everybody to be uplifted at mine too instead of feeling sad and then not remembering it at all. I want to be brave and do that but hubby might not approve. Grinning

• With you mentioning Wild Horses, I live in the same village as Susan Boyle who done a nice version of the song. I know her and a couple of her brothers but I wouldn't impose on her to sing something at my funeral. Ziggy stardust is still a fantastic album. You mentioned about new music, I discovered a group on YouTube in 2019 and travelled to York from Scotland to see them in February 2020. They are called Heilung and describe themselves as amplified history, Nordic folklore. Very unusual and fantastic costumes, one of the best live performances I have ever seen, quite mesmerising. Have a look on YouTube for Heilung, Krigsgaldr it has a slow build up and takes about 3 minutes before the singing starts. Maria Franz the female vocalist has a beautiful voice and the guys do a bit of throat singing. Night night.