Music i play all sorts

• 44 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Well i play music every day, as i am here on my own, and i have a wide spectrum of taste, so it got me thinking, and that can be hard, the first record i ever bought and this will give my age away.

So the first record or cd you ever bought, for that what song.

Mine   was Stupid Cupid  by Connie Francis a lot of younger members will not have heard of her.

I did not even have anything to play it on was hoping Father Christmas would bring me a Record Player and he did.

Have a good Day,

Ellie x

• I remember Connie Francis. She had a memorable voice. It was before I started buying records though. I was trying to recall what the first one I bought was and I think it was 'Out of Time' by Chris Farlowe. I think the first album I saved up for was Andre Previn conducting Sheherazade - which blew me away and I used to put it on a full blast much to the annoyance of my parents. It later gave why to Deep Purple which they hated with a passion.   Rainie x

• Hi Ellie, a variation on your music theme, many years ago my mother who was in her 80's had all her hymns picked out for her funeral. All written down and a copy given to the local parish priest. I'm not a very religious person so I've decided to have songs that I have liked over the years. I think I will be allowed 4 at my cremation. I also want anyone there to have a bit of a laugh, they're going to be there to celebrate my life, not to mourn my demise. I'm planning on the entrance song to start as Chopin's funeral march, you know that dour few bars, then have a sound like a needle scratching across a record. Off with that and Straight into " Have a Marijuana" by David Peel and the lower East. 2.; Disturbed live version on the Conan O'Brien show of  "Sound of silence" cover of the Simon and Garfunkel song. Followed by Roy Harper " if", then the short single version of "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. If they played the live version I'd still be burning while they are all in the club having a drink during the guitar solos. Lol

• Thanks for that input. very interesting, i have not though of what i would have.

I thought i would go first so was leaving it up to hubby, did not work out like that.

Tom was a HGV Driver, loved his Motor, and always said  when i go, scatter me on the M25 as i spent half my life there, well i could not do that.

One of the songs i picked for him along with the kids input, was C.W.Mccall CB Convoy, have to say it was played as we was walking out, and every one was laughing, it was a nice way to  finish  the service, He was a clown, and would have loved it.

Has made me think, i have my funeral booked and paid for, just got to pick the Music,

Have a nice day   Elie x

• Hi Ellie, sorry to hear that. I remember the song well, I'm sure your husband will be looking down and smiling at the huge convoy in Canada. I worked in the frozen foods industry for many years and met loads of great drivers from all over the country and further afield. Many of them had a great sense of humour and were hard working men often not appreciated. I would be interested in what songs you pick. Kind regards Frank.

• Hi Frank

Tom always watched ice road trucker's, and always said i would love to do that.

He had a great sense of humour, was joker.

Yo have me thinking and that is hard, on what songs i would pick, to be honest i am not sure, so many have special meanings and reasons was being my favourites.

Tom had already picked what he would have played if i was to go first.

Tina Turner Simply the Best (he was not wrong there ) lol.

One you may not have heard of

Was from the Duke Wore Jeans Called Princess by Tommy Steel.

That was our song, he was playing in a group when i met him, played the Guitar, and always sung it to me, even when he was not well.

Nat King Cole When i fall in love as he always said loved you at the start loved you at the end we where married a long time.

He had a piece of music picked out for leaving the crem though it was a Dunne Eddie piece, though would not tell me what, not that i would hear it lol.

Though what to pick for myself finding that hard at this moment in time,

If i leave it up for my kids  to choose i dread to think what they may come up with.

Have a good weekend.

Ellie x

• I had that one too. Rainie x

• I'm going to make you green with envy but I interviewed him for a project I was working on years ago. He gave me lunch in the recording studio and was really lovely. Twinkling eyes and the whole bit. He was a real gent and I went away loaded with goodies which were then sold for charity. Happy days.   Rainie x

• Haha, My mum had "Hit the road Jack" and everyone laughed, even our very strict traditional priest smiled!

I've only thought of one so far that I've made known to my hubby & kids and that is 'Dream a little dream of me' by Ella Meadon and to lighten the mood I thought 'Dry Bones' by Gregory Porter. It happens to be my 18 month old grandson's favourite song that he dances to. LOL

• Oh wow Rainie, how lovely was that!  My encounter with him was very different. In my mad teenager crush days I was thrown out of his concert for getting on the stage and wrapping myself around him. Blush They didn't even let me get my shoes and coat and I missed the end of the show. That taught me! I met him again years later and had a photo taken with him but I had mellowed by then and behaved myself! Grinning

little-fi xx

• You mad thing you. It's all coming out now! The daft things we did - now that's an idea for another thread.  Rainie x