Chemo , knowing no cure

• 12 replies
  • 69 subscribers

I wonder if others with a terminal diagnosis ( but are receiving chemo)

make the decision to stop chemo after weighing up time spent

travelling to and from treatment, attending appointments,

taking meds, perhaps remaining time can be spent  

on  more valuable things?

• Hi Dotty12,   you are a great example  for sticking with treatment and learning 

to accept the realities that are there to come to terms with, this is what

we are offered and  hopefully  for most of us it will  feel  that at least we are

still involved in our futures, I like the expression “skin in the game”

think it means the same !

glad you are having a break- enjoy X

• I will continue with the chemo as long as its offered. If it buys me mote time, why wouldn't I?

It's also my understanding (although could be wrong)  that the chemo given to the 'incurables but treatables' is palliative and is therefore more gentle, so doesn't have the same side effects that the 'blast em with nuclear strength' chemo that's given to other cancer patients.

I think that's why some cancer patients who are really ill (stage 4) very oftn look healthier than cancer patients who are maybe only  stage 1 or 2 or 3?

Stage 1 - 3 are being treated with a view to a cure. So if you're being bombarded with really strong stuff on a regular basis, you're going to start to feel and look really ill and will likely have tons of side effects.

I have side effects.  Extreme fatigue usually kicks in about day three of treatment  nd can last a week and I've had to be put on steroids at times because of rhe  immunotherapy, but other than I can cope with the treatment.